Courtney Meppen Walter

No sympathy for him at all. He wasn't just speeding say 5-10mph over the limit, he was doing nearly double. That's just stupidity

Two lives lost because of stupidity. 18 months for two lives. Driving ban for 3 years? Minimum he should be banned for life from driving. Sentence is pathetic

MSP said:
Mike N said:
He deserves a second chance. If he were our son we would all hope for that.

True, just as if those killed were our kids we'd hope to take his soul from his body with our own hands.

He obviously got his second chance, those killed won't ever.

A very emotional subject but that sums it up for me. The most sensible post on the thread.

lee-mcfc said:
16months for two lives. Sickening

agreed. Should have been treated like a manslaughter case ( more specifically first degree vehicular manslaughter, but not sure if such a law exists in UK )

Ragnarok said:
lee-mcfc said:
16months for two lives. Sickening

agreed. Should have been treated like a manslaughter case ( more specifically first degree vehicular manslaughter, but not sure if such a law exists in UK )

No, it shouldn't, we have two separate offences for driving death cases so there are clear policy reasons for why manslaughter is not applied in such circumstances.

Careless Driving
http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/...g_death_by_careless_or_inconsiderate_driving/

Dangerous Driving

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/death_by_dangerous_driving/

For whatever reason the court decided that his driving was not enough to warrant dangerous driving but was not far off hence the 16 month sentence.

The top whack for dangerous driving requires "driving that involved a deliberate decision to ignore (or a flagrant disregard for) the rules of the road and an apparent disregard for the great danger being caused to others"

I haven't read the facts in detail, but It is clear he was incredibly stupid, he was n't however an exceptional case in terms of driving at an excessive speed in a built up area, so will all those queuing up to show their disdain find some perspective first. I know that may sound cold, but that is life, unless you are a victim's family member what right do you have to be so outraged?

See the photos he has been posting on Instagram of him in his car with his mates, posing after appearing in court to plead guilty a few weeks ago and one yesterday showing off his new Rolex.

He only seems to have been crying today as he realised he was going down and not because of any remorse he feels.

Eccles Blue said:
I hate the fact that two people got killed but have reservations about the 'hang 'em high' reaction!

At the end of the day he is a kid, he wasn't on drugs, drinking or using a mobile phone while driving. How many of you have gone over the speed limit when driving? I know I have, in fact I was a few hours ago as I returned from a meeting.

There but for the Grace of God go a lot of people. Also, let (s)he who is without sin cast the first stone.

The lad deserves a second chance. I hope that City give him one.
Did you do double the speed limit?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.