COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
New cases fell by 825 from yesterdays figure.
Deaths only rose by 22 on yesterdays figure too. So it's looking optimistic for me.
Yes, it could be a lot worse - with the proviso the new case figures for the previous 3 days were very unhappy reading. Also, as a footnote, I noticed that the cut off time for the figure for total positive tests has moved to 8am, rather than 9am.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-daily-deaths/

If anyone is interested, you can download a sheet of a breakdown of actual deaths that occurred on each day, not just when reported like what we get currently.

Highlights what was is said in this article

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....about-the-uks-coronavirus-death-toll-is-wrong

It’s noticeable that towards the end of March the death totals ended up being significantly higher than the daily update. Also the last few days it’s been the other way although that could be re adjusted in further updates.

That’s why for me I try to concentrate on the trend, and take comfort from the fall in new cases. Get that number down and the deaths will follow. Following the deaths will depress you, and help nobody especially your own well being.
Testing fell by 7% though.

They need to get a grip with that. Get the tests into the hospitals and care homes then when one patient / nurse gets ill you can do something. The fast tests that have been developed should improve the way patients are cared for, and it should also make a huge difference for healthworkers. You could screen an entire hospital workforce in a day and quarantine all the asymptomatic staff (I bet there's quite a few). I have heard that when company execs meet Trump they all get tested before they meet him so it works. Roll it out to the to healthworkers, and help them.

There were a lot of announcements last night or recently about testing sites so I think the infrastructure is being put in place now but the testing has yet to be ramped up.

Does anyone else have a little wobble when these numbers come out? I've generally adapted to this life indoors thing and largely started to get used to this grim normality, but then 2pm comes and the numbers appear online and my head goes woozy for a good ten mins. It's fucking bleak isn't it?

Please don't reply saying 'stay offline', as we all know that's totally unreasonable and not even possible really at the moment.
Not particularly, no.

There was no great furore when they got the flu vaccine wrong in 2017 and we saw an excess Winter death rate of 50,100 (that’s 414 excess deaths a day, every day, for four months) over the 2017-18 Winter in Britain.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....level-40-years-experts-blame-ineffective/amp/

On average, 1,400 people die every day in Britain.

While COVID-19 is an exceptional novel virus, we aren’t yet seeing exceptional numbers of deaths in the country compared to any other normal day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, agree.

I am starting to be concerned by the fact I am just digesting daily numbers, rather than equating it to actual fellow human beings, all someone's son or daughter, someone's parent, brother or sister.

I choked today when I read the husband Faisal ignored the doctors to hug his dying nurse wife after telling her the kids will be okay and she started crying, she died moments later.

What can you say?
Yep. Every one of those cases is a human being.
Gut wrenching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.