COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s say the vaccine is passed in September(although that is extremely unlikely) how long does production take? Do we have the ‘ingredients’ make enough to roll it out nationwide and then the infrastructure to roll it out globally?

If September is when it’s ready then saying the vulnerable are best staying in doors for a few more months doesn’t seem particularly extreme to me

First, I would be staggered if there was a working vaccine ready for mass use before this time next year.

RNAs are chains of subunits. RNA viruses are such that they inveigle their way into body cells, and get themselves replicated by the cell's own machinery.
A lot of vaccines are similar to the main virus, but with a few changes such that the RNA doesn't do anything bad (or at least gives a very minor dose, in some cases) when it's replicated.
What the vaccine still has to do is provoke the immune response of the body to a pathogen, creating the antibodies that fight it off (one mechanism is that the antibody binds around a part of the virus, and prevent it doing anything).

For RNA vaccines, making it then is probably not that difficult, as machines will make it automatically. However, you're still looking at months before there's mass dosage. I can't see mass immunisation being an automatic plan, unless Covid-19 keeps coming back.

There are other immunisation principles which could be followed - anything that provokes the immune response would work, and that doesn't necessarily have to be an RNA vaccine (I expect it would be a main aim though).

That's reassuring, thanks Chippy.

Just out of interest, do you believe that the first person to catch Covid19 in the UK got it on 5th March ?

If not, since you evidently know these things, how long before that did it arrive ? A day ? A week ? A month ? 2 months ?
5 March was the first death so it would have been early Feb probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.