COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Wikipedia.
February 2020 – early spread
On 6 February, a third confirmed case, a man who had recently travelled to Singapore and then France, was reported in Brighton. He had been the source of infection to six of his relatives in France, before returning to the UK on 28 January.[46][47] Following confirmation of his result, the UK's CMOs expanded the number of countries where a history of previous travel associated with flu-like symptoms – such as fever, cough, and difficulty breathing – in the previous 14 days would require self-isolation and calling NHS 111. These countries included China, Hong Kong, Japan, Macau, Malaysia, Republic of Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, and Thailand.[48]

On 10 February, the total number of cases in the UK reached eight as four further cases were confirmed in people linked to the affected man from Brighton.[49][50] Globally, the virus had spread to 28 countries.[51] That day, the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, Matt Hancock, announced the Health Protection (Coronavirus) Regulations 2020, to give public health professionals "strengthened powers" to keep affected people and those believed to be a possible risk of having the virus, in isolation.[51] The following day, two of the eight confirmed cases in the UK were reported by BBC News to be general practitioners (GPs).[49] A ninth case was confirmed in London on 11 February.[52]

On 23 February, the DHSC confirmed a total of 13 cases in the UK as four new cases in passengers on the cruise ship Diamond Princess were detected. They were transferred to hospitals in the UK.[53]

On 27 February, the total number of confirmed cases in the UK were reported as 16, including the first case in Northern Ireland – a woman who had travelled from the outbreak area in northern Italy, having also stopped in Dublin.[54][55]

On 28 February, the first case in Wales was confirmed in a person who had returned from Northern Italy.[56][57][58] The same day, two further cases were confirmed in England, one of whom was a man who became the 20th case of COVID-19 in the UK and the first case who did not contract the disease from abroad. He was a resident in Surrey and registered at the Haslemere Health Centre, which had previously been closed for "deep cleaning".[5]

On 29 February, three further cases of the virus were confirmed, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 23, after 10,483 people had been tested.[12] Two of the three affected people had recently returned from Italy while the third had come back from Asia.[59] On the same day, Scottish CMO, Catherine Calderwood announced that surveillance would begin at some hospitals and 41 GP surgeries in Scotland.[60] Around 442,675 calls were made to the non-emergency line 111 in the last week of February.[61]

Unless I too am reading that wrong that puts the first confirmed cases 31 January. So assuming they had incubated and shown symptoms a few days before testing. So that puts them catching it and spreading it to approx 26th Jan. So did these cases catch it abroad or in the UK were they known to each other, guess we don’t know that.
The first cases caught it in China and flew to the U.K.

Thing is, people are debating about whether they’ve had it earlier this year based on certain symptoms (which is entirely understandable btw) but the truth is that there will be far more people posting on this thread who’ve got it now and aren’t displaying any symptoms.

Some of them might even now be debating whether they had it in January (which they didn’t) when they have it now.
I was ill about a week and a half after Wembley. Had to take a couple of days off work for the first time in about 2 or 3 years. The symptoms didn’t match up with what was being stated at the time so I wrote it off as a bad cold but since then it’s been said that it can have different symptoms in different people. I still don’t think I’ve had it but there’s more chance I’ve had it in mid March than anyone before Christmas in this country.

The first cases caught it in China and flew to the U.K.
Yes , which looks to be the last week in January. Though I suppose it depends whether any asymptomatic carriers were also bringing it in around the same time. So best guess seems to be spread started mid to late January.

Thing is, people are debating about whether they’ve had it earlier this year based on certain symptoms (which is entirely understandable btw) but the truth is that there will be far more people posting on this thread who’ve got it now and aren’t displaying any symptoms.

Some of them might even now be debating whether they had it in January (which they didn’t) when they have it now.

This is true. The point is that no-one can say that it is "impossible" that people had it in late December/early January. It is that presumption that I am doubtful about.

I was ill about a week and a half after Wembley. Had to take a couple of days off work for the first time in about 2 or 3 years. The symptoms didn’t match up with what was being stated at the time so I wrote it off as a bad cold but since then it’s been said that it can have different symptoms in different people. I still don’t think I’ve had it but there’s more chance I’ve had it in mid March than anyone before Christmas in this country.
I think the notion that anyone had it in the UK before Christmas in the UK is a little fanciful, and it’s largely an academic point (although there’s fuck all else to do tbf), but given the extent that humans moved around the planet up to a few short weeks ago I find the suggestion that it wasn’t amongst us shortly after it became embedded in Wuhan to be one that needs challenging. It is perfectly conceivable that a number people had it in this country by mid-January. Even with its rate of spread - given the relatively low numbers, its incubation period, time to (and likelihood of) eventual death, numbers of asymptomatic carriers and possible relative lack of scrutiny around that time that timeline appears feasible to me - happy to be corrected on this point btw.

I had something displaying all the symptoms in early January which I did wonder about, but I’ve since had cause to reflect that it was too early. Hope I’m wrong, obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.