COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

The link in that tweet is saying that the latest data released (today) showed 517 people had died in the previous 24 hours (sunday), compared with 619 in the 24 hrs before that. And that confirmed new cases also fell. The Spanish authorities are allowing builders, factory workers and others unable to work from home to return to work, provided they follow strict safety guidelines. Maybe a tiny glimmer of hope, at least for the Spanish, who had been badly hit by the virus.

Why is Britain not trialing plasma treatment. There must be a valid reason?

If you can combine that with developing some type of immunity test and passport you would think it would save lives and get people back to work at the same time. It could help treat people whilst we wait for a vaccine to be developed and produced.

If I knew I’d had covid 19 and my now immune blood would save people and get this horrible situation over with sooner I’d be giving pints of it away. I’m sure the wider public would too.

I cannot fathom the reluctance to trial this.
They are trialing this.
You have to wait 28 days before you can take blood from someone who has been ill though or you might inject live virus in with the plasma, which isn't a good idea.

Last edited:
This is not new but worth reading. An authorative summary of the UK's preparations from Anthony Costello (professor of global health at UCL).

https://www.dumptheguardian.com/com...herd-immunity-community-surveillance-covid-19

Of course the policy is herd immunity.
Every countries policy is herd immunity if you can't contain and eliminate the virus.
The real question is how do you get there?
Waiting for a vaccine will kill the economy as one won't be available till December at the earliest.

The link in that tweet is saying that the latest data released (today) showed 517 people had died in the previous 24 hours (sunday), compared with 619 in the 24 hrs before that. And that confirmed new cases also fell. The Spanish authorities are allowing builders, factory workers and others unable to work from home to return to work, provided they follow strict safety guidelines. Maybe a tiny glimmer of hope, at least for the Spanish, who had been badly hit by the virus.
Italy as well.....

Of course the policy is herd immunity.
Every countries policy is herd immunity if you can't contain and eliminate the virus.
The real question is how do you get there?
Waiting for a vaccine will kill the economy as one won't be available till December at the earliest.

I’m not sure the race to herd immunity is the policy for the vast majority of countries and probably not for the UK after 23rd March.

Herd immunity is a by-product. The policy is to slow down the outbreak, build up life saving supplies, and wait for a vaccination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.