COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Belgium is being very hard hit in terms of deaths per head of population. With 303 deaths being reported in the latest 24 hour period that proportion now exceeds Italy's.

given the population densities in Europe comparing actual numbers is misleading and often alarmist which obviously suits piers Morgan.

deaths per 1million of population is a much better way of seeing how countries healthcare systems/ strategies are coping . Although I still don’t believe how people measure deaths or manage their stats so even this is difficult to follow.

Eg

we have 156 deaths per 1 million of the population.

china has 2 .

I’m not sure the race to herd immunity is the policy for the vast majority of countries and probably not for the UK after 23rd March.

Herd immunity is a by-product. The policy is to slow down the outbreak, build up life saving supplies, and wait for a vaccination.
It certainly is the goal for everyone.
Will social distancing work to get there?
In the densly populated UK with a large number of knobheads, no, not on it's own.
In sparsely populated Sweden, maybe.

given the population densities in Europe comparing actual numbers is misleading and often alarmist which obviously suits piers Morgan.

deaths per 1million of population is a much better way of seeing how countries healthcare systems/ strategies are coping . Although I still don’t believe how people measure deaths or manage their stats so even this is difficult to follow.

Eg

china has 2 .

And Belgium has 337 deaths per million. Granted, that’s before our latest figures are released this afternoon but their death rate is around double that of ours and worse than every country except Spain, but if that trend carries on for a few more days they’ll surpass Spain.

Eg

china has 2 .
If you believe China's figures. I don't.
They're still pretty good at about 16 though.

Eg

china has 2 .

Course they do.

It certainly is the goal for everyone.
Will social distancing work to get there?
In the densly populated UK with a large number of knobheads, no, not on it's own.
In sparsely populated Sweden, maybe.

The main goal is vaccination with as few deaths as possible. That’s plan A.

If you get to herd immunity via normal transmission (what the Gov’t were referring to as ‘herd immunity’) and between 60-80% of the population get COVID-19, that’s a lot of deaths unless the 60-80% are people without underlying health conditions. I doubt that’s plan A anywhere in the world judging by the lockdowns imposed because of the numbers that would likely die.

And Belgium has 337 deaths per million. Granted, that’s before our latest figures are released this afternoon but their death rate is around double that of ours and worse than every country except Spain, but if that trend carries on for a few more days they’ll surpass Spain.

comparisons are pointless unless you know what is being treated as a death from corona virus.

if someone has terminal cancer and the virus finishes them off, it’s not counted as a virus related death in some countries, it is in others. people dying in care homes from the virus aren’t counted in some places and are in others.

unless you know that the statistics in Belgium, China, the US etc are all being recorded in the same way, it’s a fairly pointless exercise to compare death rates country to country.

comparisons are pointless unless you know what is being treated as a death from corona virus.

if someone has terminal cancer and the virus finishes them off, it’s not counted as a virus related death in some countries, it is in others. people dying in care homes from the virus aren’t counted in some places and are in others.

unless you know that the statistics in Belgium, China, the US etc are all being recorded in the same way, it’s a fairly pointless exercise to compare death rates country to country.
Especially when there are a whole load of other variables, especially population density and demographics.

Question because I’m struggling to find an answer.

If you’re sick with something else like a sickness bug does this weaken your immune system and make it easier for you to catch something like Covid 19?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.