COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the 31st March Spain had over 9,000 new cases, the peak.

Today 3,000.

I think that is good news which should be replicated in the UK soon.

I cant get my head round this - will it just grow again and the next peak just be smaller and this is repeated several times?

Today 3,000.

Good news although the Spanish locked down a good fortnight before we did and when they did, it was a lot harder. I still think it’ll be May before we see the death toll fall in the UK but hopefully I’ll be wrong and we’ll follow suit within the next few days.

Today 3,000.

It’s difficult to see what will happen with us.

Spain and Italy actually had a lockdown, whereas we haven’t.

I think our peak may last longer than theirs because of this and we will have to be in this partial lockdown for longer than they were/are in their forms.

I cant get my head round this - will it just grow again and the next peak just be smaller and this is repeated several times?

I'm sure if we just went back to work, school whatever then yes, but as you say with decreasing peaks as more people develop immunity.

Suspect Spain will want to see new cases under a 1000 in a coupl of weeks and then decide the next step.

I have heard masks will be available to everybody an of course wearing them, keeping distance it should be possible to keep new cases lowish.

This gives hospitals, care homes etc breathing space.

Under those circumstances people who need hospitalisation would have better outcomes.

Good news although the Spanish locked down a good fortnight before we did and when they did, it was a lot harder. I still think it’ll be May before we see the death toll fall in the UK but hopefully I’ll be wrong and we’ll follow suit within the next few days.

Spain locked down on March 15th, we locked down March 23rd. So 8 days, not a good fortnight.

We also had the same number of cases at the time of lockdown.

without a vaccine, if just one person is carrying it then off it goes again. Testing 60+million is beyond our capabilities, so without test-and-trace....and if a vaccine became available how long would it take to inoculate every one.....one outcome could be "involuntary herd immunity" providing there is no mutation of cv 19 to whatever comes next.

without a vaccine, if just one person is carrying it then off it goes again. Testing 60+million is beyond our capabilities, so without test-and-trace....and if a vaccine became available how long would it take to inoculate every one.....one outcome could be "involuntary herd immunity" providing there is no mutation of cv 19 to whatever comes next.

I think it goes off again at a much lower pace - i think i read that Germany suspects 15% of people have had it. If that is teh case the R rate is 2.1 not 2.6. So the more that have had it the lower the next peak. Thats my understanding.

Sadly, without a vaccine (especially if there is no long lasting immunity), this is exactly what will happen. All we are trying to do currently is stop the NHS getting overwhelmed which, although it will mean more infections, should mean fewer deaths (fewer deaths from Covid-19, although maybe not from everything else). The only way it can be fully stopped is if every country in the world, locks down until there are no new transmissions and that nobody travels, between countries, until all countries have no new transmissions either. That seems somewhat unlikely as we’re still letting in flights from New York and Milan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.