COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrible indeed. Can you or anyone answer me this though. Say I had terminal cancer and was given days to live. I then tested positive for Covid 19. When I pass away am I included in the Covid 19 numbers or not.

Ultimately, yes, I would presume, but the death would also appear on registers for cancer. It's not really about attributing the death to one thing or the other, but instead about developing a more accurate picture of what is occurring, which would be beneficial to have if we face repeated waves. However, that could also lead to situations where doctors now attend care homes (and that could be doctors sent as emergency cover who have no knowledge of the patient) and include Covid-19 as a factor on the death certificate just to be safe.

Do we know if samples are being taken post-mortem to test later?

Care home deaths can not be hidden because deaths are being recorded albeit they are delayed. The ONS records all deaths and the all case mortality will be visible leaping out in the data.

Terrible indeed. Can you or anyone answer me this though. Say I had terminal cancer and was given days to live. I then tested positive for Covid 19. When I pass away am I included in the Covid 19 numbers or not.

I honestly think it depends on the doctor calling it. its going by what is on your death certificate.

Spain locked down on March 15th, we locked down March 23rd. So 8 days, not a good fortnight.

We also had the same number of cases at the time of lockdown.

True although they took many stronger measures around a fortnight before us (school/university closures etc) so I think our peak, even though influenced by other factors, will likely come at least a fortnight after their peak.

mate you could jump out of a plane and forget to pack your parachute and test for covid you would still be included in the covid numbers

Care home deaths can not be hidden because deaths are being recorded albeit they are delayed. The ONS records all deaths and the all case mortality will be visible leaping out in the data.
I've not really followed this, so forgive me if it's a dumb question...

But are we testing everyone who dies in the UK? I didn't think we were? And if we are not, then we cannot possibly record all the COVID-19 deaths can we? I mean "Mrs Jones has been ill for some time and lately developed a bit of a cough and has sadly passed. So we'll put her down as another COVID-19 death" doesn't really cut it.

My bosses mum died in a care home last week. She had dementia and had been in hospital for a while before, she got tested positive a couple of days before and seemingly had gotten over it but then deteriorated rapidly. The day after she died, the doctor called him and asked if he was ok with them putting Covid on the death certificate as they wanted to make sure all are tracked, even if there were other significant factors.

You're right they are delayed though, he's still waiting for the death certificate (which has the impact of not being able to arrange the funeral either).

The sheer volume involved at the minute though, there will be delays in all stages of the process - the numbers ultimately are the least important thing to me. They will get amended eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.