COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
While this virus will always be out there now, like others, will it kind of die out/water itself down at some point so even if you catch it it will be like a bad dose of flu? If not and it remains a killer for a fair few then I'm not sure how the lockdown can be lifted until an effective treatment/vaccine is found. Excuse my ignorance on the subject but we have some fairly knowledgeable people on this thread I just wondered what they thought.

Different counties using different ways to measure data so we can't compare like for like,we are working with other countries to try and standardise reporting

What would you wish you had done differently with hindsight? We have learnt so much,we are working day and night,for months ,wish we knew in jan what we know now,we can always do better,too early at the moment to say,we are still at early stages,later on we will reflect on it and learn

Nightingale only has a few patients in it ,why aren't people from care homes and others at home being taken in there? At no time has the nhs refused any patients that need admitting,can't answer about patients being sent in from care homes,we have the additional capacity

Daily briefing

It’s difficult to see what will happen with us.

Spain and Italy actually had a lockdown, whereas we haven’t.

I think our peak may last longer than theirs because of this and we will have to be in this partial lockdown for longer than they were/are in their forms.
I am in Spain at the moment and they have a real lockdown with rules that clear to understand only 1 person in a car go to the supermarket then home police checks at road junctions if you are breaking the rules an instant fine not a talking to like the UK

While this virus will always be out there now, like others, will it kind of die out/water itself down at some point so even if you catch it it will be like a bad dose of flu? If not and it remains a killer for a fair few then I'm not sure how the lockdown can be lifted until an effective treatment/vaccine is found. Excuse my ignorance on the subject but we have some fairly knowledgeable people on this thread I just wondered what they thought.

I don't think anyone knows the answer to that. A huge part of the problem in understanding the possible outcomes, is that no-one knows how many people have actually become infected already. The Austrian study reckoned less than 1% of the population; the German one, more like 10%. Almost certainly both cannot be right. And also we don't know for how long previously infected people will have immunity. Nor for how long a vaccine will provide protection. Will it be like the measles or smallpox vaccines - one vaccinated you can never get it? Or more like a seasonal jab needed with flu for example? These are all open questions at the moment.

It will never go away,it will become a seasonal virus like flu,the population will build up immunity as we go along,remember we only have very small numbers confirmed,they just said in the briefing that we are not testing everyone so it will never be the true numbers reported,there are a lot of drugs already in use for other conditions being tested to see if they can help out whilst we are awaiting the vaccine
the bottom line i suppose is that we just have learn to live with it,it will mutate,whether that makes it stronger or weaker we will have to wait and see,there are painful times ahead in terms of deaths,relaxing lockdown is a delicate job,the numbers will spike again but we just have try and try and limit it

Edit,as chippy said there is a lot to learn about immunity and vaccination

I don't think anyone knows the answer to that. A huge part of the problem in understanding the possible outcomes, is that no-one knows how many people have actually become infected already. The Austrian study reckoned less than 1% of the population; the German one, more like 10%. Almost certainly both cannot be right. And also we don't know for how long previously infected people will have immunity. Nor for how long a vaccine will provide protection. Will it be like the measles or smallpox vaccines - one vaccinated you can never get it? Or more like a seasonal jab needed with flu for example? These are all open questions at the moment.

Cheers.

Thanks.

There'll be some interesting questions for the NHS in the coming months. For example, how much capacity and extra capacity was used, and how many people were transferred, or not, from care homes to hospital who might otherwise have been saved? Were people allowed to die who might have been saved, but the country was paralyzed by fear that the NHS would collapse? These questions will be painful, especially for those grieving, but they need to be researched and answered, quickly, if we anticipate a second wave; that knowledge could lead to more people being saved.

It will never go away,it will become a seasonal virus like flu,the population will build up immunity as we go along,remember we only have very small numbers confirmed,they just said in the briefing that we are not testing everyone so it will never be the true numbers reported,there are a lot of drugs already in use for other conditions being tested to see if they can help out whilst we are awaiting the vaccine
the bottom line i suppose is that we just have learn to live with it,it will mutate,whether that makes it stronger or weaker we will have to wait and see,there are painful times ahead in terms of deaths,relaxing lockdown is a delicate job,the numbers will spike again but we just have try and try and limit it

Edit,as chippy said there is a lot to learn about immunity and vaccination
May also depend where we go with vaccination. With the flu we vaccinate the vulnerable but let the rest of the population just get the flu. With this I wonder if we will try for a much wider vaccination programme to prevent any spread.
I think I'm right in saying the flu one needs repeating every year because we get different strains which they have to try and predict.
Whereas the pneumonia one lasts 5 years. We don’t know yet how this vaccine will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.