COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news: Antibody tests validated!

Bad news (I think) : They've realised that under 40s diagnosed who had mild symptoms didn't actually develop antibodies and the virus was killed by other cells in the body. Now unlikely to be immune.

I've found the abstract of the original paper that the article was based on, there's a link to download the full pdf in there if anyone's interested.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.30.20047365v1

To quote my registrar daughter:
"Basically it’s utter shite for the purpose they wanted to use it for and they need to go back to the drawing board."
She then reflected for a minute then said:
"About the only thing it is useful for is to identify people who have definately had the virus and can give blood from which plasma can be extracted "

To quote my registrar daughter:
"Basically it’s utter shite for the purpose they wanted to use it for and they need to go back to the drawing board."
She then reflected for a minute then said:
"About the only thing it is useful for is to identify people who have definately had the virus and can give blood from which plasma can be extracted "
Could you ask your daughter to get off the fence, please? ;-)

Gutted about that antibody test news. I think a large part of me was hoping deep down that it worked and we were gonna find out who had it and if we were safe to see our loved ones again. Feels like a massive setback. Properly knocked my mood tonight. Guess I was pinning more on it than I realised.

So we have a bunch of people who it affected so insignificantly it didn't even register an antibody response.

Surely promising?

Yeah in that way it's good. The flipside not so though. It means they can get infected again though and carry on spreading it. For someone my age, below 40, presuming my body dealt with it the same way, it means I'm not safe to see loved ones even if I've had it once. I'm not safe to go out at all really potentially. Could just keep getting it and spreading it asymptomatically. Naff.

So we have a bunch of people who it affected so insignificantly it didn't even register an antibody response.

Surely promising?

It's great for the person who it's hardly affected, until they get it again (because they havent produced an antibody) and it's more severe for them the next time or they keep getting it and keep spreading it.

It's great for the person who it's hardly affected, until they get it again (because they havent produced an antibody) and it's more severe for them the next time or they keep getting it and keep spreading it.

I think the being asymptomatic carriers is the more worrying point - if they've fought it off once, it's quite likely they'll be able to do it again.

Yeah in that way it's good. The flipside not so though. It means they can get infected again though and carry on spreading it. For someone my age, below 40, presuming my body dealt with it the same way, it means I'm not safe to see loved ones even if I've had it once. I'm not safe to go out at all really potentially. Could just keep getting it and spreading it asymptomatically. Naff.

Not necessarily mate. There will be a vaccine available in time and that should help produce antibodies in everybody.

Also this lack of antibodies in the young is just one report in a paper isn't it? You should wait to see some more verified reports rather than beating yourself up over one news paper report.

We will find a way out of this problem. It just needs calm heads and minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.