COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
couple of points to go with the thread.

airborn) there was a dr Campbell video last week all about this. The view of airborn vs droplet in this case doesn’t really apply, its “old thinking”. When someone breaths/coughs then there is a large range of droplet size. Some drop to the floor quickly while others are “airborn”, Other reports say this is especially the case here with the fact it’s a dry cough which results in smaller particles. if it was a wet productive cough then that produces larger droplets.

which brings me on to

Masks) To me this is all about stopping the spread instead of stopping the wearer catching it. Basically being a spit guard means these masks for the public can be far less high end than the PPE needed by the front line staff.

Depends on the ventilation.
If a place is well ventilated, virus particles will be grounded within 10 seconds.If not they could hang around for a couple of minutes.
Your body needs to breath in quite a bit of small virus particles for it to get established. Far more than from larger droplets. The body is pretty good at filtering it out of the air and in to mucus where it will die or be digested.
From the evidence I've seen it about 20% of transmission is via airborne aerosol

There was a video on here recently that showed a cough/sneeze would just drop to the floor almost instantly in a normal environment.
In a sealed, airtight room is a completely different matter.

Cheers, that's interesting as up until now I thought it could only be spread by coughing or sneezing in someone's pretty much immediate vicinity or by touching an infected surface. The potential of picking it up in a supermarket then for example which I wouldn't imagine would be well ventilated must be quite high then. Can understand the recommendation for masks in that case.

Cheers, that's interesting as up until now I thought it could only be spread by coughing or sneezing in someone's pretty much immediate vicinity or by touching an infected surface. The potential of picking it up in a supermarket then for example which I wouldn't imagine would be well ventilated must be quite high then. Can understand the recommendation for masks in that case.

From the dr Campbell video ( from memory ) they have shown breathing at 2m, cough was 4/5m and a sneeze was 7/8 meters spread.

so even very basic masks here would be a major help especially with so many asymtomatic spreaders.

Ive had one on when out in work this week and youre right, you cant help but fiddle with them and bend then round the hooter or adjust them round the mouth far more than you consciously think you are, probably because you aren't used to wearing them and because after a while they are very irritating on the chops.
That is that i mean,public are just not used to wearing them,it is different to healthcare workers that are,i can see why you would want to wear one though,if it is job related and depending on the job

I think our government's stubborn refusal to accept what pretty much every other country is saying - that the public should all wear masks in public places such as shops, public transport etc - is down to us having an acute shortage of PPE for front line staff. And the government thinking if the public all want to wear masks as well, it will only make the shortage more acute.

I am convinced that's what's behind it. Either that or we are complete idiots. To take just one example, Germany have 1/4 of the deaths we have and yet they are mandating masks. Are we *really" to believe we know best and they don't???
I can't speak for anyone chips,i was asked,gave my personal opinion,i dont speak for anyone but myself at the end of the day
The WHO aren't pushing for masks,individual leaders might think it will aid with compliance to get them to their people,who knows
On germany though,they are light years ahead of us with having a diagnostic industry,they went testing from day one so they raced ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.