COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The number of coronavirus victims in Britain's care homes could be as high as 7,500, five times more than the official estimate, the sector's main charity has warned.

"Without testing, it is very difficult to give an absolute figure," Martin Green, chief executive of Care England, told The Daily Telegraph.

"However, if we look at some of the death rates since April 1 and compare them with previous years' rates, we estimate a figure of about 7,500 people may have died as a result of Covid-19."

The figure is more than five times higher than the estimate of 1,400 suggested by the government earlier this week.

Ah right. I think the study I am referring to is based on a UK study. I guess that further corroborates the research from China.

found the link and correction on the 30% figure I gave, that was very low levels of the antibody.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/victor...merge-but-the-jury-is-still-out/#320cf8bf31a5

The work was published on preprint server MedRxiv by scientists from Fudan University in Shanghai and has not yet been peer reviewed by external experts, nor accepted for publication in a scientific journal. The study looked at blood samples from 175 patients from Shanghai who had experienced mild cases of COVID-19 and subsequently recovered. They found that almost a third of those who recovered had low levels of neutralizing antibodies (NAbs) against the virus, with ten patients having no detectable level of the neutralizing antibodies at all.

Today In: Healthcare
“About 30% of recovered patients generated a very low level of NAb titers and NAb titers in ten of them were below the limit of detection,” said the authors in the paper.

Last bank holiday weekend this topic was full of people complaining about people in parks and beaches. I wonder what they make of the President of the USA?

Is that not for the full UK?
Not just england,the other home counties numbers are added in later as they all come out at different time

Edit,it from public health not nhs england so you are correct

This is the breakdown

NHS England announced a further 784 deaths, taking the country's total to 13,918

Scotland saw a further 56 deaths, Wales 28 and Northern Ireland 17.

There have now been 114,217 positive tests in the UK

Government fgures

Last edited:
The study is based on data not opinion.
The study describes "sensitivity" and shows that the quick tests had lower sensitivity than the lab tests used to validate. the reason for the "no antibodies" rumour is simply that the tests used to check were not sensitive enough. The German survey used very sensitive lab testing and came up with 15%!

Very interesting. I realise this is data but I was meaning why expert opinion seems commonly different from what the data suggests then. I think Oxford uni published a report previously which provided similar results/estimates to the santa Clara one and suggested herd immunity might be a lot closer than we might think. This seems so different from what you see from Neil Ferguson at imperial college and such like.

Not just england,the other home counties numbers are added in later as they all come out at different time

I see, i didn't realise they hadn't released them yet. I thought they generally released their numbers before England.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.