COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why have only 21,000 people been tested again, just like yesterday? We've apparently got the capacity to test over 10,000 more than that number a day.

No idea of the actual reasons but as of yesterday I qualified for a test. I don't need one but if I did I have no clue how to go about it. Where do you go? How do you book an appointment? What proof do you need?

Possibly might be a reason why there not getting anywhere near the numbers they apparently say they can test.

The WHO have said there isn’t an antibody test that’s very accurate yet haven’t they?

yes that’s always been my understanding from independent papers I have read. However, there is a lot of confusion about this as many media outlets report various antibody tests being being carried out without any background data on the kit actually being used etc

this is one of the much better articles I have read from Dr Robert Gallo who was one of the scientists who discovered HIV and more importantly worked on the creation and development of the antibody tests that were rolled for HIV 1 and HIV2 so he knows his onions.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...t-certain-hiv-co-discoverer-cautions-n1183631

great read but specific section in article :-

Gallo: Well, you want accuracy, you want specificity, you want sensitivity. You don't want to increase sensitivity and sacrifice specificity, which is a problem with this virus. We don't know all the problems yet, but we're seeing problems.

One thing that we know for sure is a problem is the other mild coronaviruses that infect us. In addition to SARS and MERS, which cause severe illness, there are three or four other coronaviruses that will give you cold-like symptoms. Some of these milder viruses are widespread, so you may have antibodies to them. The question is, do antibody tests for this coronavirus pick up antibodies for other coronaviruses? It looks like with many of the assays, there are some cross reactions. So that's a problem because we're gonna get false positives.

Of course, we can conquer that. That's what the academic research labs are doing and maybe some of the companies, as well. It's a research problem.

Ultimately, what you’re looking for in this virus — compared to any other coronavirus — is a protein or proteins that are distinct or different enough, that there won't be cross reactions, with other coronaviruses.

I'm not going to criticise Ferguson. However, he has a track record of pessimistic projections over many years.

I've seen these also. On swine flu, SARS etc. I suppose we'll just need to continue to wait and see for the time being.

If Oxford come good on their projections and the vaccine I'm going every boat race getting tore right into those Cambridge bast... ;-)

Last bank holiday weekend this topic was full of people complaining about people in parks and beaches. I wonder what they make of the President of the USA?

Big thread on him. Everyone apart from Bigga and Dax think he’s a ****. Gelson’s Dad says he doesn’t like him but does like to play devils advocate a great deal and backs up some of the rubbish he spouts about his authority.

There appears to be more going around than C19 at this time. One good tip is to stop drinking cold drinks, as these will flush any virus further into your body. Drinking hot drinks has a better chance of killing it, whether Vimto or tea etc. This is being advised in some other countries, and sounds logical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.