COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
But surely these people you feel sorry for can have the wherewithal to a) make a decision for themselves to wear one and b) go on YouTube where there are about 100 videos on how to make your own mask.

I don’t understand why people need spoon feeding.

Because the government spent weeks telling them there was no scientific proof they worked! Come on man! They probably don't even know that they're now recommended and still think they're useless. This change of tact only came about a few days ago, and it was a relatively off-handed concession. There's been absolutely no push for it at all from leaders.

That's NHS beuracrates for you.

Think it’ll be a combination of multiple factors. If approximately 40% of deaths occurred at home and in care homes, then the idea that the NHS didn’t buckle rings rather hollow. If there is a second wave, will people be as good as

There are quite a few separate questions there
Firstly Oxford University have many different groups so that some at different times say different things is not surprising.
The original model that was talked about was a mathematical model one of the possible outcomes of which was a high level of immunity at that time.It was seized on by the press but was not even then as far as I could see a central prediction of the model just one possible interpretation of the data.
I don't think anyone believes this likely now.
The headline saying we are not at epidemic levels now is more of a reflection of a standardised definition of epidemic rather than an assessment of the risk to the population if the virus is allowed to spread.
The current level of infection in the community is not an immediate risk to the health service at this level , were relaxations in social distancing relaxed enough to allow exponential growth it almost undoubtedly would be.

That all makes perfect sense CF. Cheers.

But surely these people you feel sorry for can have the wherewithal to a) make a decision for themselves to wear one and b) go on YouTube where there are about 100 videos on how to make your own mask.

I don’t understand why people need spoon feeding.

I think you overestimate the common sense levels of the general public by quite a bit. Perhaps so are the government. You can never judge what they should be doing based on your own standards, I assume both me and you would never get on thst bus without a mask but for many sections of society this needs absolutely driven home, if not made compulsory. The world out there isn't as switched on as you think, even if you already think it's lacking common sense I'd lower your expectations even further.

They wont get to herd immunity with an infection base of 136k, R=1, and an average infective period of 14 days (I made the 14 days up - it can't be that far out). I don't get anywhere near. You could build a significant number though which would act as as bulwark against a 2nd wave.

Even without a vaccine,I think we'll get increasingly safer and the risks will gradually fall. But it's going to be a long had slog with each day merging into the next. I waste far too much time on this damned virus

I think you overestimate the common sense levels of the general public by quite a bit. Perhaps so are the government. You can never judge what they should be doing based on your own standards, I assume both me and you would never get on thst bus without a mask but for many sections of society this needs absolutely driven home, if not made compulsory. The world out there isn't as switched on as you think, even if you already think it's lacking common sense I'd lower your expectations even further.

Exactly. You govern and change your strategy accordingly so that you can find the most effective way to through to the populace. We all know that this country has some 'common sense' problems. Its pretty obvious that any urgent messages needs to be totally rammed home to get through. We're not like the Swedes, or even those in the east, who are a lot more obedient in many ways. So spell it out, plainly and simply. Put it on ads all over social media - encourage the papers to have it on their front pages, get the BBC to talk about it a lot. It'll save lives so there's no excuse. It's just negligence.

They wont get to herd immunity with an infection base of 136k, R=1, and an average infective period of 14 days (I made the 14 days up - it can't be that far out). I don't get anywhere near. You could build a significant number though which would act as as bulwark against a 2nd wave.

Even without a vaccine,I think we'll get increasingly safer and the risks will gradually fall. But it's going to be a long had slog with each day merging into the next. I waste far too much time on this damned virus

That's the one thing that always slightly reassures me, and I feel guilty for even feeling this way, when I see the numbers as high as they have been. At least, and I do stress the 'least' bit there, with every new case and then eventual (hopefully at least) recovery, I guess there's one less person to spread it around then, thus making it harder for the fucker to actually spread over time. All this is obviously based on the idea of immunity actually being a thing though! Fingers crossed hey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.