COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quieter on the roads than normal today.

Decided to take Mrs Moon, she's been in a at risk group, out for a drive up Saddleworth/Marsden area for some fresh air in a couple of laybys....I know what a guy ;)

Barely a mask or face covering in sight.
2nd spike on the way in London on the way because of this. You have to go full on South Korea to make public transport as safe as possible.
Khan has done fuck all for the last two months to try and make it safe.
But it's no good the government saying don't use public transport when it's impossible to not do so to go to work in London.
Why are people not wearing masks and should the Government or the Mayor be held responsible for not trying to make it safer?

They wont get to herd immunity with an infection base of 136k, R=1, and an average infective period of 14 days (I made the 14 days up - it can't be that far out). I don't get anywhere near. You could build a significant number though which would act as as bulwark against a 2nd wave.

Even without a vaccine,I think we'll get increasingly safer and the risks will gradually fall. But it's going to be a long had slog with each day merging into the next. I waste far too much time on this damned virus

Without a vaccine it will take quite long to reach herd immunity (if CV remains the same):

Let's say UK herd immunity is 66% of persons infected.
That would be 44m cases for UK.
Let's assume the true number of UK cases is 2m, as an example. Remain 42m to be infected.
Even if we would allow 5,000 new cases any single day from now on
it would take about 23 years to reach 66% HE:

5,000 x365 days x23 yrs = 42m.

23 years. Would you think more than 5k per day is within NHS capacity?

Would it be possible at all to keep R=1 at 5k without overshooting??

We can scrap all those HE theories and just hope for a vaccine.

Why are people not wearing masks and should the Government or the Mayor be held responsible for not trying to make it safer?
Surely the government has to be firmer but at the same time realistic. If they want significant numbers returning to work then the mooted 10% capacity limit for public transport is simply unworkable, social distancing is bound to be compromised, especially in the major cities. So why didn't the government make it compulsory to have the nose and mouth covered before being allowed on public transport rather than just offering "advice" when there's plenty of evidence that a sizeable minority in this country will only heed advice if they're inconvenienced when they ignore it.

watched this last night

Very interesting

I’ve been ignoring things about this starting in a lab, thinking they meant it was man made in a lab, which I didn’t believe.

I didn’t realise this lab was a bat coronavirus testing lab with actual live bats with coronavirus.

And if true about the state of the working conditions and lack of health and safety in the lab; then China need to be asked some hard questions!

Because the government spent weeks telling them there was no scientific proof they worked! Come on man! They probably don't even know that they're now recommended and still think they're useless. This change of tact only came about a few days ago, and it was a relatively off-handed concession. There's been absolutely no push for it at all from leaders.
Spoke to my Sister the other day and I mentioned about going to the shops in a mask and she said; “but Hancock said for weeks they’re useless so I’m not bothering”. She’s obviously missed any updates on this.

I’ve been ignoring things about this starting in a lab, thinking they meant it was man made in a lab, which I didn’t believe.

I didn’t realise this lab was a bat coronavirus testing lab with actual live bats with coronavirus.

And if true about the state of the working conditions and lack of health and safety in the lab; then China need to be asked some hard questions!
On the other hand it is just as likely click bait fake news.

Last edited:
I think you overestimate the common sense levels of the general public by quite a bit. Perhaps so are the government. You can never judge what they should be doing based on your own standards, I assume both me and you would never get on thst bus without a mask but for many sections of society this needs absolutely driven home, if not made compulsory. The world out there isn't as switched on as you think, even if you already think it's lacking common sense I'd lower your expectations even further.
I completely agree about common sense. Having worked across a few industries, over the years, dealing with the public in their hundreds every day; it is hugely underestimated how many people have no or little common sense!

Also it’s not always about common sense, it’s about not being exposed to news. I’ve mentioned before, my ex who I broke up with last year didn’t have a TV Licence and only watched Netflix and Prime on her tele through her tablet. She also didn’t have a radio in the house and only listened to Apple Music in her car. So she never watched/listened to any news.

A British-Asian woman was on BBC News the other day saying there are many people in the Asian communities in Britain who only watch Asian tv stations and aren’t exposed to our news. And even if they watched or read BBC News, many don’t speak English.

My Sister has three kids and is still having problems from a miscarriage a few months ago, and is run off her feet at the moment. She’s not up to date with things and is still thinking along the lines of Hancock saying masks don’t do anything because that’s what he said for about five weeks.

Others are busy in other ways, some have been working harder than ever through this, doing longer hours than they were pre-restrictions... they won’t have the time to be keeping up with the news.

Many many people aren’t exposed to what a lot of us are. They do not get the messages.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.