COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't view the full article for paywall reasons but is this on the back of their article around a month or 6 weeks ago which suggested that the infection had been with us for a lot longer than the first reported cases and there's a good chance we already have developed a good herd immunity or is this totally separate findings? Pretty sure a LOT of doubt was cast upon that report I'm talking about.

Begs the question of why? If they're wrong then how have this group of respected academics at one of the best universities researched the virus and compiled a report on it only for them to be told that they're effectively talking shite. How have they got it so wrong? Or how has everyone else got it so wrong by not listening to them? Must admit, them talking about infections being with us in January didn't sit right with me because surely hospitals would have became overcrowded much sooner and it'd have been picked up on... But then again Oxford uni guys would be aware of this question too so surely for them to compile and submit such a report suggests they'd have some logical answers on that.

EDIT - Another thing. It's Oxford uni who are claiming they'll have a vaccine by autumn and they're going ahead to start producing it beforehand because of their confidence in its success. Are they just being really over optimistic about everything or are we not giving their work enough respect and credence?
There are quite a few separate questions there
Firstly Oxford University have many different groups so that some at different times say different things is not surprising.
The original model that was talked about was a mathematical model one of the possible outcomes of which was a high level of immunity at that time.It was seized on by the press but was not even then as far as I could see a central prediction of the model just one possible interpretation of the data.
I don't think anyone believes this likely now.
The headline saying we are not at epidemic levels now is more of a reflection of a standardised definition of epidemic rather than an assessment of the risk to the population if the virus is allowed to spread.
The current level of infection in the community is not an immediate risk to the health service at this level , were relaxations in social distancing relaxed enough to allow exponential growth it almost undoubtedly would be.

I feel for every person who had no choice but to get on this bus.

Barely a mask or face covering in sight.
2nd spike on the way in London on the way because of this. You have to go full on South Korea to make public transport as safe as possible.
Khan has done fuck all for the last two months to try and make it safe.
But it's no good the government saying don't use public transport when it's impossible to not do so to go to work in London.

Barely a mask or face covering in sight.
2nd spike on the way in London on the way because of this. You have to go full on South Korea to make public transport as safe as possible.
Khan has done fuck all for the last two months to try and make it safe.
But it's no good the government saying don't use public transport when it's impossible to not do so to go to work in London.

London is just to overpopulated to control in my opinion

Indeed. I guess the lack of action relating to this is that Govt are following the 'advice' that masks are not particularly helpful. It's things like this that makes me think this is a forced herd immunity, of sorts, or they are still concerned about PPE supply reaching NHS staff
Not particularly helpful? Same old bollox. Still promoted by the BBC and to some degree by The Guardian though the latter seems to have shut up of late.
Face coverings reduce the spread by 25-64% in close proximity. but only if nearly everyone wears one.

Last edited:
We need a proper public service announcement on this, including how to make your own at home. Pretty much everyone can do that, and it will make a difference. It's not been mentioned anywhere near enough. Most won't know its now recommended.
But surely these people you feel sorry for can have the wherewithal to a) make a decision for themselves to wear one and b) go on YouTube where there are about 100 videos on how to make your own mask.

I don’t understand why people need spoon feeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.