COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a really good thread. Not exactly a positive one, sadly, but a necessary read anyway.

Yes, primarily Swiss-based as that's where she is, and quite critical of Swiss actions.

She also says that there is no one dominant strain there, so there probably won't be much effect of a single strain mutating to something less dangerous; also that the rise in cases, and no proportional rise in deaths is likely to be because the positive cases are generally in the younger brackets (up to 50). That's what I read from it anyway.

However, things look brighter when we focus just on Greater Manchester. Where in general the numbers have improved.

Numbers are higher than two days ago when the county case load was just 89 but is significantly better than the 154 recorded yesterday,

Todays GM total is 106. That is the third lowest total in the past couple of weeks.

Even so recall that is about 13% of the total of all cases reported today are from GM.

However, it is nonetheless much better than on some days when it has been nearer 20%.

I visited my mum today for the first time since lock down. She has vascular dementia and is in a care home. The staff have done fabulous work to keep them Safe and virus free throughout this. They have been utterly fantastic Each and every one of them.

the visit had to be out of doors, I needed to stay at least two meters away and wear a mask at all times. No physical contact whatsoever. It was lovely to see her but incredibly upsetting. She didn’t recognise me with a mask, didn’t understand why I was wearing one and couldn’t hear or understand the explanations I was giving her. To take the mask off I had to walk Meters away and then she couldn’t hear me. She was upset and getting more and more stressed. We only lasted 10 minutes as she was getting too upset And had to be taken up to her room.

Hopefully, they will allow visits inside soon although I guess the mask is here to stay. Bloody heartbreaking and similar scenes must be happening in care homes over the country.
this virus is so vile.

I visited my mum today for the first time since lock down. She has vascular dementia and is in a care home. The staff have done fabulous work to keep them Safe and virus free throughout this. They have been utterly fantastic Each and every one of them.

the visit had to be out of doors, I needed to stay at least two meters away and wear a mask at all times. No physical contact whatsoever. It was lovely to see her but incredibly upsetting. She didn’t recognise me with a mask, didn’t understand why I was wearing one and couldn’t hear or understand the explanations I was giving her. To take the mask off I had to walk Meters away and then she couldn’t hear me. She was upset and getting more and more stressed. We only lasted 10 minutes as she was getting too upset And had to be taken up to her room.

Hopefully, they will allow visits inside soon although I guess the mask is here to stay. Bloody heartbreaking and similar scenes must be happening in care homes over the country.
this virus is so vile.
Feel for you bud, Mrs Moon's dad is in a care home, he's been disabled for 35+ years, used to look as he staggered and spoke like he was pissed (motor bike accident) I wasn't warned when I first met him...and yes, thought he was steaming....I digress, his brain is still fully functional but he's 'a head on a bed' sadly these days, hoisted out of bed to a chair etc...can't even eat due to throat issues so fed via a tube...we also have to meet outside.

Feel for you bud, Mrs Moon's dad is in a care home, he's been disabled for 35+ years, used to look as he staggered and spoke like he was pissed (motor bike accident) I wasn't warned when I first met him...and yes, thought he was steaming....I digress, his brain is still fully functional but he's 'a head on a bed' sadly these days, hoisted out of bed to a chair etc...can't even eat due to throat issues so fed via a tube...we also have to meet outside.
Sorry to hear that. They say live life to the full and it’s true as you just don’t know what lies in front for you.

GM scoreboard

Bolton 13 (up from 5 - bit of an outlier today). 263 in month. 66 past week. 18 over 2 days (was 9). Pop score 760.

Bury 9 (same as yeserday). 171 in month, 67 past week. 20 over 2 days (was 13). Pop score 780.

Manchester 29 (down from 47). 824 in month. 257 past week. 76 over 2 days (was 68). Pop score 703 - joins the 700 club sadly leaving just 4 boroughs still in the 600 club. But stilltoday is more like normal numbers for the city.

Oldham 15 (down from 34). Better than of late. 736 in month. 177 past week. 49 over 2 days (was 64). Pop score 1128.

Rochdale 14 (down from 15). 340 in month. 83 past week. 29 over 2 days (was 20). Pop score 946.

Salford 11 (down from 13). 292 in month. 84 past week. 24 over 2 days (was 22). Pop score 648.

Stockport 3 (down from 8 - best day here since the lockdown). 259 in month. 57 past week 11 over 2 days (was 13). Pop score 656 (within single figure range of Salford for top GM pop score).

Tameside 7 (down from 8). 252 in month. 57 past week. 15 over 2 days (was 14). Pop score 796 (800 club looms).

Trafford 2 (down from 7, best day in lockdown) 225 in month, 46 past week. 9 over 2 days (was 11). Pop score 663. Also in sight of Salford & Stockport for top pop score.

Wigan 3 (down from 6) . 107 in month. 32 past week. 9 over 2 days (was 9). All best in GM. Pop score 687.

Yes, primarily Swiss-based as that's where she is, and quite critical of Swiss actions.

She also says that there is no one dominant strain there, so there probably won't be much effect of a single strain mutating to something less dangerous; also that the rise in cases, and no proportional rise in deaths is likely to be because the positive cases are generally in the younger brackets (up to 50). That's what I read from it anyway.

What I took is that the deaths didn't rise automatically as the infections were largely amongst the younger population but in time they naturally fed through to the older groups and sure as shit the death rate shot up.

Horrible read but I can't help think it's an accurate one. @kaz7

31 of today's 50 infections in Scotland were in the 25-64 age group. 6 older (however only 1 person over 75). 13 people younger than 25.

Other watch areas - Preston seems to be under control - just 3, 3, 3 cases in last three days. So going to leave that off for now.

Blackburn & Darwen - 8 (was 10). Seems much better here too, Pop score 1139.

Bradford 29 (down from 49 - so hopeful but need more than 1 day). Pop score 1077.

Leicester 28 (up slightly from 25) but about one fifth of total when locked down). Pop score 1550.

What I took is that the deaths didn't rise automatically as the infections were largely amongst the younger population but in time they naturally fed through to the older groups and sure as shit the death rate shot up.

Horrible read but I can't help think it's an accurate one. @kaz7

Yes, I think we can see from all the data globally as has been discussed in here lately that this is the main reason (but possibly not the only one) why hospitalisations and deaths are not rising whilst cases are.

But that has to require better guidance to the vulnerable as they are often still shielding voluntarily right now yet some are wavering from my conversations. And the message from not properly punishing 200 people having a garden party near to an old people's facility will soon erode that self control.

You create the impression that normality has returmed you lure the vulnerable to the edge of a cliff. A few young idiots might jump off and survive but most will be steady on their feet.

Whilst the ones unable to keep their balance and at risk are the ones who by accident may be tipped over that edge.

It is really important someone in authority finds a way to get these things across. Hope I am wromg in being sceptical to think it might take a few tragedies to wake them up to do this when it is so easy to see why we could avoid that situation by stressing this now, Maybe in TV ads during Corrie (perhaps presented by Bill Roache).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.