COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim of the Oak

The other concern I have is that we don't know if vaccines stop the spread as yet. If they do - great! 'Cases' will come down to zero and the government will have a way out, albeit over a long period. If the vaccines do not stop the transmission but do stop people from developing illness, the government will have to change the way they record deaths away from 'died WITH covid particles' or else it is a never ending circle.

It is the folly of labelling perfectly health people who generate a covid positive test on a highly sensitive method as cases. This will be exacerbated by mess testing which with a 1% false positive rate will still show 10,000 cases even if nobody has the virus! Perhaps a move back to testing only those that get ill would become appropriate.

I hope I'm wrong but it will take a shift from the government to a more accurate method of reporting and tracking the effects of covid itself for them to have a way out. My hunch is things will co-incidentally end around the same time as the flu season ends.

JVT on now - really like this guy.
Your theory requires a shift from the Government and the NHS because it assumes the collusion of the majority of the medical profession.

The reality is that vaccine(s) will drive down the number of Covid cases and the serious harm the virus is doing to people within the next few months.

03 March 2002

Team supported
Manchester City
So the Tories are trying to exploit the vaccine for political gain. What a shock!!
Neither are correct to be honest. Most of the world is aligned in their approach to authorisation (why would you not be?). Our standards aren't centralised, granted, but they may as well be in terms of similarity.

Only exceptions being Japan and somewhat China.

davealvers

The reality is that vaccine(s) will drive down the number of Covid cases and the serious harm the virus is doing to people within the next few months.

That's my point, if it doesn't stop transmission (which JVT has just said we don't know yet) then presumably under the current way of measuring cases it may not reduce them even if it does stop people getting ill as a result of covid? It's not a conspiracy theory, it's a concern - no mention of collusion.

sir baconface

Assuming the new vaccine which is to be given in stages to the population of the UK [if there is enough to go around and if it is effective], then when can we ditch the face masks? Will it be a kept instruction until the last person is injected or will masks remain a legal requirement for those people at the back end of the queue only?
I’m guessing but imagine face coverings will be mandatory for a few more months. The vaccination programme will take some time and, even then, none of the vaccines are 100% effective. We don’t know what the uptake will be either. No doubt there will be a significant minority of conspiracy theorists and other doubters and it would appear that the government won’t use coercionary tactics.

The authorities will no doubt monitor progress closely and take a pragmatic decision based on case numbers, infection rates and other data.

It’s no big deal to wear them in the meantime and err on the cautious side IMO. This has been a bastard and we shouldn’t get complacent.

Healdplace

GM % of NW total rises today to 47% after reaching a low point yesterday.

807 cases today - up from 731 yesterday.

Not a big increase given the cases increase for the UK.

Wigan back over 100 but 5 boroughs up and 5 are actually lower today than yesterday.

Churchlawtonblue

And as expected the BBC on their coverage of the 5 pm Boris conference on live mention the big rise in cases but no mention of the massive jump in testing that means there were fewer positive tests today than yesterday. Which deserves at least a mention.
The bbc do anything to put a negative spin on things. Poor jounalism when the country needs considered inteligent positive reporting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account?

Register now!
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.