COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm supposed to be in Malaga on Friday and that's off. I had two flights changed so BA let me cancel and refund. I want to go to South Wales for the weekend now and that looks screwed too.

And as for the pubs thing... Table service in some of the watering holes I drink in? It won't catch on!
Those pubs where it doesn't catch on will be closed.

Many scientists agreed with what the government did and for nearly 2 months it worked. People have got careless recently. Especially dick heads going on pub crawls - one of which gave us virtually the entire Bolton outbreak.

I don't think many people at all, apart from their friends with city centre property portfolios, saw the merit in forcing people unnecessarily onto public transport and into offices.

blujon I see that argument and of course they are not skyrocketng and hopefully never do.

and the what should count as a covid death is a viable other argument.

But the majority of England hospital deaths get recorded for any day in the first five days and if you total the number of deaths at five days up to 17 September (most recent date where we have a five day total) they currently read:

28 Aug - 3 Sep Total of the 7 days = 29 (average about 4 per day)

4 Sep - 10 Sep Total of the 7 days = 49 (average 7 per day)

11 Sep - 17 Sep total of the 7 days = 79 (average over 11 per day).

In statistical terms as a non mathematician I would perceive that as a signficant increase in death numbers over 21 days. I assume I should not be doing. But intuitively it sure looks like a pretty meaningful upward curve.

Last edited:
Even if he's worked out his chances of dying, what about the chances of everyone he comes into contact with? Can we say that every single one of the 50,000 who have died wanted to die?

This is the thing with COVID, it's all well and good saying you don't mind dying until you are the one dying and the poor hospital staff are given the task of choosing who lives and who dies because of this selfish behaviour.
But he stays at home, wears a mask when out and practices social distancing in the pub, so hows that selfish behaviour?

blujon I see that argument and of course they are not skyrocketng and hopefully never do.

and the what should count as a covid death is a viable other argument.

But the majority of deaths get recorded for any day in the first five days and if you total the number of deaths at five days up to 17 September (most recent date where we have a five day total) they currently read:

28 Aug - 3 Sep Total of the 7 days = 29

4 Sep - 10 Sep Total of the 7 days = 49

11 Sep - 17 Sep total of the 7 days = 79

In statistical terms as a non mathematician I would perceive that as a signficant increase in death numbers over 21 days. I assume I should not be doing. But intuitively it sure looks like a pretty meaningful upward curve.
I found the data you are referring to there, I was looking at different data, but it shows a similar trend. To put it really bluntly, when bugger all is doubled, it's still not very much. 79 people out of 70 million or so is not a national crisis.

I hope the Government are taking the advice from SAGE with a huge pinch of salt after the dreadful advice about borders and mass gatherings in the first wave of the pandemic that cost 40,000+ lives.

Whitty, Valance and whoever else was involved should have been strung up by the bollocks by now for their failures.

bluejon I have not described it as a national crisis. Just a concerning rise in numbers.

Like these

37 all settings deaths. (most in 2 months)

4926 new cases. Highest yet.

The Monday night fixture might cause a few landlords a fucking enormous headache. 20:15 ko. with customers being asked to leave by 22:00.
Let's see if the Premier League play their part now.

4926 cases from 188,865 pillar 1 & 2 tests versus 219, 723 tests yesterday for 4368 cases.

Which looks like a fairly big / statistically insignifgicant (no idea which) rise in the positive % rate from yesterday to today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.