Covid and travel discussion

Just to give people an idea of the rug being pulled from under us.

From 1st May, because we are classed as retail (I work for a high street agency with 15 branches), we won't be eligible for any further grants from the Gov/local councils. That support has been cut off because retail is now 'open'.

So despite the product we sell currently being illegal, and the demand for leisure travel from 17th May effectively non-existent, we can't now claim business support grants.

The powers that be have literally no fucking idea of how travel works, the intricacies involved and the crisis facing the industry.

Probably a crass comparison but imagine a pub trying to operate under the conditions of the sale of alcohol being illegal and having to scrape by selling bags of crisps, to then be told that from tomorrow there is no further support and you're on your own, despite there likely to be zero demand for pubs all summer and beyond.
(and this being on the back of the pub previously having to refund all its profits from the last 12 months)

Shake my head.
Are the stories of high demand untrue? I keep reading quotes about bookings being up and pent up demand but I get the feeling it is anything but. Jet2 had 700 free child places departing on one day in Aug earlier this week when they are usually sold out by now.

The travel industry should be funded until it is back to something like normal.

Are the stories of high demand untrue? I keep reading quotes about bookings being up and pent up demand but I get the feeling it is anything but. Jet2 had 700 free child places departing on one day in Aug earlier this week when they are usually sold out by now.

The travel industry should be funded until it is back to something like normal.

I would take any stories that talk about high demand or big increases in bookings with a bag of salt.
It's a great soundbite for the likes of Jet2/Tui etc to put out into the domain but the reality, at least for us, is that demand is extremely low presently (and that's probably reasonably representative across the industry)

The demand would be there if there weren't so many hoops to jump through and costs involved just to get on a plane.
As a nation we love a holiday abroad, and many people and families likely haven't been away for 12+ months now, but when you're talking hundreds of pounds for tests and the stress of arranging them, possible isolation on return, the form filling, traffic lights, and that people still don't know where they can go.....it's not a particularly attractive prospect at the moment. I can't be arsed with it all and I live for travel.

We really do need help; no other sector is having to try and survive under these conditions, restrictions and uncertainty.

Government; ''Hairdressers, great news, you can reopen from 12th April''
Hairdressers; ''That's fantastic''
Government; ''But all haircuts will remain illegal until 17th May at the earliest''
Hairdressers; ''Oh....ok....''
Government; ''And it could be later than May 17th, and many haircut styles will remain banned all summer, but we don't know which ones yet.....it's also likely to be illegal to use scissors until 2022''
Hairdressers; ''Right''
Government; ''And we're also taking away your business grants and support because you're open and trading, good luck''
Hairdressers; ''But we ca....''
Government; ''Good luck''

I would take any stories that talk about high demand or big increases in bookings with a bag of salt.
It's a great soundbite for the likes of Jet2/Tui etc to put out into the domain but the reality, at least for us, is that demand is extremely low presently (and that's probably reasonably representative across the industry)

The demand would be there if there weren't so many hoops to jump through and costs involved just to get on a plane.
As a nation we love a holiday abroad, and many people and families likely haven't been away for 12+ months now, but when you're talking hundreds of pounds for tests and the stress of arranging them, possible isolation on return, the form filling, traffic lights, and that people still don't know where they can go.....it's not a particularly attractive prospect at the moment. I can't be arsed with it all and I live for travel.

We really do need help; no other sector is having to try and survive under these conditions, restrictions and uncertainty.

Government; ''Hairdressers, great news, you can reopen from 12th April''
Hairdressers; ''That's fantastic''
Government; ''But all haircuts will remain illegal until 17th May at the earliest''
Hairdressers; ''Oh....ok....''
Government; ''And it could be later than May 17th, and many haircut styles will remain banned all summer, but we don't know which ones yet.....it's also likely to be illegal to use scissors until 2022''
Hairdressers; ''Right''
Government; ''And we're also taking away your business grants and support because you're open and trading, good luck''
Hairdressers; ''But we ca....''
Government; ''Good luck''
Agree. It’s been poor communication.

I agree with the other bit too.

We booked in 2019 and will end up going on it next year 3 years later!

It’s the hassle for me. Also having a school aged child.

If it were just me to think about, I’d probably risk it but not when I have to think about a 10 year old too. I find the whole travelling experience stressful enough without all this extra red tape.

Just to give people an idea of the rug being pulled from under us.

From 1st May, because we are classed as retail (I work for a high street agency with 15 branches), we won't be eligible for any further grants from the Gov/local councils. That support has been cut off because retail is now 'open'.

So despite the product we sell currently being illegal, and the demand for leisure travel from 17th May effectively non-existent, we can't now claim business support grants.

The powers that be have literally no fucking idea of how travel works, the intricacies involved and the crisis facing the industry.

Probably a crass comparison but imagine a pub trying to operate under the conditions of the sale of alcohol being illegal and having to scrape by selling bags of crisps, to then be told that from tomorrow there is no further support and you're on your own, despite there likely to be zero demand for pubs all summer and beyond.
(and this being on the back of the pub previously having to refund all its profits from the last 12 months)

Shake my head.

As someone in the travel industry can I get your take on how likely you think it'll be the supporters will be allowed to travel to the CL final in Istanbul mate (should City make it)?

How likely do you think it'll be and what do you think the logistics of it will all be if given the nod?

Do we have any idea on how long the 10 day isolation and 2 PCR test policy for travelling will last? So many question marks over this.

Just reading about the traffic light system and general rules that will be implemented
The bizarre thing is it looks more confusing than last year yet people are being vaccinated?
Its very confusing

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.