Covid Spot Checks At Etihad

I reckon by the time the wintry weather starts to come (it’s been a warm Autumn where people have barely needed to have their heating on and windows closed at home or in work at all yet) and people are contracting Covid more than now, this will be compulsory for entry to venues.

Mask wearing will come back n’all. For the Norwich and Arsenal games I thought a large number of people were wearing masks on the Met to/from the game (arguably 60:40), whereas the other week against Burnley it was a lot lower (arguably 15:85). But I’ve kept on wearing my mask on public transport and also when in the queue and at the servery when getting food/a pint.

There’s still a lot of Covid flying about so it’s my(/our) duty to protect others as much as we can.

If deaths start to rise to the point where the NHS struggle again (could be a bad Flu season n’all, who knows?), I could see venues like football closing its doors to fans again. So it’s better to try and reduce the spread now than when it’s too late.

For a person of a certain age - me, it is the hassle of finding everything on my new mobile phone.
Depending on which phone you have, it can be as easy as double clicking the side button and all your passes show up on the same page.

Mask wearing is a waste of time. The size of the virus particle is smaller than the weave of cloth or the mesh in the disposable masks. The best analogy I’ve heard is that it’s like standing on the penalty spot and throwing golf balls into the net. The net will stop the occasional one but most will get through. I doubt it’s airborne as the figures should be much worse. The mask helps with droplet’s from the mouth and nose if coughing and sneezing near someone.

Hand hygiene is far more important. I try to avoid touching the hand rails on the stairs, use my elbows to open the doors and don’t lean on the counters.

Just my two pennies for what I know, 25 years in PPE and hand hygiene. I’m no virologist though. Just want us all to stay safe and not lose live football. This virus is very much about learning to live with it (again, in my humble opinion).

Other opinions are available and you can disagree with me without questioning my parentage etc.

@BamberBridgeBlue I’ve clicked like more for your last two paragraphs than anything. I’m not knowledgeable enough to know whether you are right or wrong but I respect your right to say so. Personally I hope you are correct as I continue to wear my mask.

People have a right to state their opinion without having to ask that they not be insulted for that opinion.

If we all had the same opinion we’d just be living in a world of zombies! (IMHO) :-)

Everyone stay safe and take care.

I continue to wear my mask, even if most of the people on tram to Burnley game didn't have them.

I always ask myself, why does a surgeon wear a mask in any operation, if not to avoid the risk of spreading potential germs/infection to their patient?

I do it out of respect for the people around me and to let them know I take their health as seriously as my own.

Last edited:
Mask wearing is a waste of time. The size of the virus particle is smaller than the weave of cloth or the mesh in the disposable masks. The best analogy I’ve heard is that it’s like standing on the penalty spot and throwing golf balls into the net. The net will stop the occasional one but most will get through. I doubt it’s airborne as the figures should be much worse. The mask helps with droplet’s from the mouth and nose if coughing and sneezing near someone.

Hand hygiene is far more important. I try to avoid touching the hand rails on the stairs, use my elbows to open the doors and don’t lean on the counters.

Just my two pennies for what I know, 25 years in PPE and hand hygiene. I’m no virologist though. Just want us all to stay safe and not lose live football. This virus is very much about learning to live with it (again, in my humble opinion).

Other opinions are available and you can disagree with me without questioning my parentage etc.
This is simply untrue/fake news. There is credible science that proves mask-wearing does protect both the person wearing the mask and others around them.

What you say on a forum can be dangerous because it reinforces peoples inaccurate opinions which they then act upon.

Wearing masks is scientifically proven to reduce transmission of COVID-19.

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3

This is simply untrue/fake news. There is credible science that proves mask-wearing does protect both the person wearing the mask and others around them.

What you say on a forum can be dangerous because it reinforces peoples inaccurate opinions which they then act upon.

Wearing masks is scientifically proven to reduce transmission of COVID-19.

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3
depends which studies you believe I guess

I really don't understand the point of it if they're not denying entry. Steward asks somebody to see their covid status, first person produces their vaccination pass "thank you, enjoy the game" next person shows a negative test "thank you, enjoy the game" next person along "haven't got one" "okay, enjoy the game" it does nothing and they can't possibly need training and trial runs to read a phone.

Can't see how there can be an argument against this coming in properly though if we have a bad winter. I think its important the unvaccinated aren't excluded entirely, there's plenty of people with reasons why they aren't vaccinated that aren't just anti-vaxers, so long as they can provide a negative test they should be allowed in.

I'd personally make a negative covid test mandatory for all, the vaccinated are still catching it, if they're checking everyone for either a vaccination pass or a negative test, why not just check everyone for a negative test, that surely has to be safer. Doesn't take up any extra time in terms of getting in and doesn't take much effort to do.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.