Cricket Thread

Well done to Brook on reaching his fifth test match century (his first on home soil). Also, yet another fifty for Root. Sorry, "ROOOOOOOOOOOOT". His 63rd in test matches. An invaluable partnership, this. Over 150 now. When they came together, England were basically around 100 ahead, but with three of the top order back in the dressing room m

It's funny really, In football broadcasters are not allowed to show live 3pm kick-offs because of fans not going to the games and watching at home instead, But in cricket, everybody knows the test matches are live on Sky.

Prices are not cheap to go and watch live in the stands, even just for a day never mind 5 days
I wouldn't like to think what a ticket for a day at an Ashes test would be. Particularly at Lord's or The Oval.

BBC Sport says that Glamorgan will no longer play cricket at Swansea as the ground isn't up to standard That's a shame. It's the ground where Sobers once hit six 6's in an over. A few years later I saw Lancs' Frank Hayes hit 32 in an over off the same bowler, Malcolm (?) Nash. When Nash came up the pavilion steps a bit later he was muttering "never bloody again."
Glamorgan havent played there in mamy years now. There isnt going to be any cricket at St Helens at all anymore, Swansea CC are having to move because the Ospreys rugby are going there full time and putting a stand up on the cricket field.

Swansea are struggling to find a new ground at the moment. Requests to ground share at various clubs have been refused because Swansea CC have been a bit cunty in south wales cricket, and have been incredibly generous in the amount of players they pay, and how much, and other factors. Its a shame there wont be cricket at St Helens any more as its a great old ground to play with a lovely outfield.

Yes and at the same time the Osprey’s rugby team are taking over St Helens as their new base moving from the Swansea.com stadium.
On another note I also remember watching that great Lancs team at that ground in the lovely old days of John Player League on a Sunday.

Something that's always puzzled me in the area of hazy memories. I have a clear (not hazy) memory of seeing Lancashire play in that league at Buxton. Caught the train out on the Sunday to see it (and it was considerably easier for me from Hazel Grove than going in to Old Trafford. I also remember how pretty the ground was. And Clive Lloyd at (I think) cover point doing a ridiculous run-out, moving like a panther to pick up the ball and wreck the stumps in one fluid movement. The batters were trying to steal a single. Unwisely.
How is that possible, though? Unless they were playing Derbyshire. Were Derbyshire in that league, though?

259 ahead now. What do we reckon; another 100-120 runs, then declare? Halfway through the afternoon session?
The way we are paying - more reserved than usual - I reckon they are thinking they can get their target quite easily by mid afternoon. No really bazball but very sensible

Something that's always puzzled me in the area of hazy memories. I have a clear (not hazy) memory of seeing Lancashire play in that league at Buxton. Caught the train out on the Sunday to see it (and it was considerably easier for me from Hazel Grove than going in to Old Trafford. I also remember how pretty the ground was. And Clive Lloyd at (I think) cover point doing a ridiculous run-out, moving like a panther to pick up the ball and wreck the stumps in one fluid movement. The batters were trying to steal a single. Unwisely.
How is that possible, though? Unless they were playing Derbyshire. Were Derbyshire in that league, though?
I thought Derbyshire were, yes.

Enjoyed seeing Lancs away at Colwyn Bay a few times against Glamorgan myself.

The way it's looking, I'd be aiming to bat till about tea and then, whatever the score is, throw down the gauntlet by declaring and trusting my bowlers. At that point, the lead should be between 350 and 400 anyway, minimum. Might be very slightly risky, on this wicket, but at least it'll make for a lively match. And that's what the world wants to reinvigorate test cricket.
If the Windies don't bat till tomorrow, then they'll dig in and just block and block and block the game out.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.