Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason we have a poor record is because we don't get bullied anymore.
Under Garry Cook we'd pay pretty much whatever was asked. Now we'll walk away if the price isn't right.

van Dijk, Maguire, Sanchez, Koulibaly, Kane. These aren't City bottling deals, it's City not bottling negotiation.

Exactly. Some City fans think not signing Grealish would have meant we paid the extra money for Kane. City have a value for a player, but anything above that price then we walk away. It’s good negotiation tactics.

I’d like him and we need him but with an ego as big as his would he settle to be a sloppy second. I suppose if the price is right at his age he might well come

Ronaldo is after a 2 year deal, which would make him 38. And 25-30m per year in wages. This reminds me a lot of Alexis Sanchez, which was a disaster for United. Destroyed the wage structure, and pissed off half the dressing room.

I'm not sure that a 'knee jerk signing' fits in with the holistic approach that City have advised is the philosophy of the club, building up from the academy etc.. Having long-term targets that are worked on over a long period of time.

Someone like Ronaldo will make it all about him. He will put himself above the club and the players, and demand special treatment. He's a footballing diva now. I just don't think that City need something like that in the dressing room, when they have such a strong team ethic.

It took City a decade to shake off the mercenary tag, I can't see why the philosophy needs to change now, just because Chelsea have gone all out.
Do the Wages really matter with the commercial value from him would help pay that back which is what we're seeing at PSG for Messi.

I'm not as hung up as some on here about ex-utd players, couldn't fault schmeichel or Cole when they played for us, don't think Ronaldo would be any different

I'd have said he is in decline but his record is still outrageous. I also give him credit for playing in different leagues

One of my worries would be that he suddenly has a massive drop off in performance. Remembering back to Beardsley, he was incredible upto 36-37 but then it was like he couldn't play anymore, seemed to lose his ability overnight, then we signed him doh

Exactly. Some City fans think not signing Grealish would have meant we paid the extra money for Kane. City have a value for a player, but anything above that price then we walk away. It’s good negotiation tactics.
but it was obvious all along that Spurs wanted stupid money. You dont have to wait until late August to find that out.

Tolmie has said numerous times this summer word for word that "Kane will be a City player" and its easy to search for the posts.

Now, I have followed this forum long enough to now that Tolmie is very hit and miss, usually has very good information about what our targets are at the start og every window but imo he jumps the gun way too often on "done deals". His sources doesnt seem to have a clue how close a deal is, just whether the deal is worked on or not. I don't mind it, it is good fun and he posts in good faith and is a proper blue that probably gets as excited as the rest of us when good mews arrives.

But I can see why some people gets frustrated especially considering its hard to strike a balance between "ITK" information and opinion from a regular blue
About half as long as I have, by the looks of it.

I don't remember him ever saying "it was done" but If he did then fair enough.

Tolmie has always been a little eager (from what I remember). I don't doubt the info he gets is legit, but I believe he might make some of his own logical jumps and doesn't always let on exactly what he knows. Other times he might be on the wind up. I don't know him personally but he provides me with weeks worth of entertainment every year at the very least and 100% doesn't deserve some of the stick he gets. Just don't believe him if you don't want to.

The trick here is getting him on something like a 1+1 deal.

We can't be paying his insane wages for even 1 season more than he is useful.

Remove who he used to play for from the equation and I think this could be a very good short term deal.

Not only will he score plenty of goals, the guy dragged that Madrid side to multiple Champions league titles through what felt like pure refusal to lose, and his work ethic, professionalism and dedication to the sport cannot be questioned.

There's a lot of players in this squad who could learn a lot from him. I mentioned Ferran yesterday, but Sterling is another, Jesus too. I think older players like KDB could learn a lot by seeing how hes managed to keep playing at the top level into his late 30s by being in incredible shape.

And if some of his arrogance and self belief rubbed off on the rest of the squad it would be well worth the money. The players don't carry themselves like the best team in Europe in big games, and that hurts us at times. We often seem brittle when things go against us instead of acting like its just a speed bump on the way to winning.

However if we give him a 3 year contract or something and end up paying him to sit on the bench then its going to be a massive waste of money (which we then won't have to spend elsewhere).

Nobody can doubt the quality that Ronaldo possesses on a football pitch. He's great obviously and your post makes a hell of a lot of sense when talking about mentality and on pitch benefits. But he's also an monumentally large testicle who flutters his eyelashes at Old Trafford at every chance he gets. And in some rare cases, that is more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.