Crystal Palace (H) | Post Match Thread

Why does everybody think they're a better tactician than Pep? If you're accepting it will work against certain teams then you have to accept that you won't know which those teams are until you've tried it.

Why din't people listen carefully to Pep's post match comments? They have far more insight than anyone in the stands. Quite clearly (some of) the players had not followed the gameplan to the letter in the first half and had to be reminded at HT where they were supposed to be positionally.

Erling is something else. Just unreal. Bernardo again showing why we can not afford to lose him. He’s unique and we should count ours lucky that we get to watch him.

I don’t want to sound like I’m flapping or this is hyperbole but although we won yesterday and got a decent point at Newcastle I’m really concerned about he way we are conceding chances and goals. Something needs to change and change quick. Haaland dug us out of a whole yesterday and no doubt will continue to do so. I think Gomez looks ok but for me we could do with a left back. Bit of experience and know how. I just think we look to easy to attach against and this is a carry over from the back end of last season.

I have a real concern if things don’t change we are going to get dicked 4 or 5 by someone soon. We have a chance to open up a real lead over the others as Liverpool and Chelsea seem to not be up to the races just yet. Spurs look to have a very good squad and manager.
We need to tighten up and stop giving the opposition hope against us.

Spurs at home coming soon too so we definitely need to tighten up for that one as they will hit us on the break as they always do.

He was no slower than any other keeper of a team that parks the bus. I think the crowd made it sound worse than it was due to frustration of the way the game was going.
A lot of the frustration aired by the crowd passed on to the players as well, who began to force things (KW in particular) and make silly mistakes

The booing was surely for the ref. Absolute joke how he allowed Guiata to waste time like that.
I hope the booing was for the ref because, especially at half time, I can't see a justification for booing City. Maybe an old fashioned sentiment I know but, in my humble opinion, we shouldn't be booing our own. They don't go out on the pitch to have a bad day at the office, it happens now and again. Plus at half time they have still got 45 or so minutes to put it right, as they did yesterday. :-)

Getting (very gingerly) down off my soap box now.

The defence isn’t that bad, Ederson is fine. We all knew when we bought Haaland ,playing a number 9 would mean sacrificing some of the control. The tight defence was always down to the control from the false 9.
Obviously set piece defence can be improved ,but we will concede more set pieces and goals from breaks purely because we are playing with a pure number 9. We knew that and hopefully the extra goals will be worth that sacrifice of control. Not to say we can’t work on tightening up against getting countered a bit more.

I thought we pretty much had control of the game yesterday. 74% possession and 18 attempts against 26% and 2 attempts. Newcastle we were not in control at times. The thing with us, as can be the case in games is that we shouldn’t be conceding that many goals from that number of attempts. The first goal should not have happened.

Some of the comments on here, Jesus wept. I guess we should sell everyone and buy 11 new players.

We conceded a fluke goal and one the like of which we have hardly conceded over the last twelve months. On top of that, Ederson nearly had his brain fart (he will have one at some point it's inevitable). It's not surprising confidence was knocked. A few changes, a new half and Bob's your uncle.

I'd rather praise the team for the response than worry too much about the goals conceded.

What a team we are. Palace scored on the only two occasions they made it as far as the final third and then displayed some gold medal standard time wasting.

Then we upped the intensity for half an hour and just blew em away. Simple as that.

The only disappointing thing about the day was the way some of the crowd were getting on Walker’s back when the occasional pass went astray. It’s not Kyle’s fault that Pep is asking him to play as a quarterback a la Pirlo but kudos to him for manning up, not hiding and continuing to try to find the right pass.

True, since when can you smash someone smack in the middle of the face with a forearm shiver and it not be a foul? Intent is irrelevant and takes a back seat to the actual blow to the face.

That was no "disallowed" goal. The ref blew the infraction straight away. You can't stick a foot into the keeper's hand as he's trying to release a ball. Every fucking quasi incident gets scrutinized to no end when City are involved. That was a routine call. Nothing to talk about.

Microscopic analysis of their disallowed goal is not required. The law is that an indirect free kick is awarded if a player:

"prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from the hands or kicks or attempts to kick the ball when the goalkeeper is in the process of releasing it"

It's about the process and not where the ball is to the millimeter.

What the Palace player did is snide and contrary to the laws of the game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.