Crystal Palace (H) | Post Match Thread

Vieira's not a "dickhead" though, that's really unfair, like many/most PL managers playing City, he plays to the ability of his squad's ability, they don't have our resources, or player our ability, and in the first half today we got schooled, we were shocking, it wasn't pretty, but it was mostly not pretty by City.

Great that we changed, and eventually turned up in the second half to be the team we are capable of being, but slagging someone off because they play a different style is all very "entitled", we have to earn the right to win, and today, despite an abject first half, we did exactly that, so let's celebrate the fact.

I don't agree that city got schooled in the first half but Vieira is not a dickhead and, as you say, he went with the best ttactics he could given his resources. His team did get very lucky though with both goals. However, he had them well drilled and organised. I'm sure his former bosses and MCFC are keeping a close eye on his progress.

It helped because the 3 at the back was 1 more than we had in the first half! We've always looked vulnerable to the basic ball over the top, but with just 2 centre halves covering the full pitch, it doesn't even need to be a good ball.

Sitting in the family stand, roughly in live with the 18 yd line on our LHS for the first half, there was never anyone outside me. Dias was first, Cancelo in front of him and Foden was then in front of him. None of them had an angled ball out and the only width to the pitch was from Mahrez staying wide.

I'm not sure if that was intentional or some players not getting it, but we were so narrow and the fullbacks couldn't/wouldn't overlap, so it was fairly easy for Palace to defend against but also gave them easy out balls, as there was so much space.

Second half, Cancelo at least got wide and beyond Foden before he was taken off. Bernardo charged the game though, so much more direct than Mahrez had been.
Noticed Walker going into central midfield as well. Must have been tactical because Pep didn't chastise him. However, it produced absolutely zero.

Only caught MoTD as was working but thought it was strange they were talking about the ball not being fully released.

Had a mooch around the IFAB website and from what I read under rule 11.2 the ref was spot on as technically it comes under offside.

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

• interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
    • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
    • challenging an opponent for the ball or
    • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
    • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
Edit: Meant to add if that wasn’t an obvious action to prevent Eddy from playing the ball then I don’t know what the fuck is.

Wrong law...

I thought we pretty much had control of the game yesterday. 74% possession and 18 attempts against 26% and 2 attempts. Newcastle we were not in control at times. The thing with us, as can be the case in games is that we shouldn’t be conceding that many goals from that number of attempts. The first goal should not have happened.
I agree we shouldn't be conceding 2 from 2 chances, though to be fair 1 of the 2 wasn't the first goal (which for me was one of those you can't do much about). The second goal definitely shouldn't have happened, as we should have been taking a free kick instead, not sure when a forearm smash to the face became a legal challenge ?

Noticed Walker going into central midfield as well. Must have been tactical because Pep didn't chastise him. However, it produced absolutely zero.
We've been doing this with the full backs since Pep arrived, effectively playing 244 on the attack, I'm not quite sure how so many people haven't noticed until yesterday.

Just watching motd and Erlings 3rd goal.

Wow. Just wow.
He is an absolute machine.
I am also just (re)watching MOTD for about the 5th time. If it were still tape that section would be worn out by now. I rarely watch any of the other matches just ours and keep rewinding. The way Bernie weaves through the opposition is magic in itself and then the second goal where we pass from Silva to KDB to Alverez to Foden to Haaland superb.

Just love Guy Mowbray when the camera pans to Paddy looking pensive and he (Guy) just laconically says, "Well it was fun while it lasted." as if that was what Paddy must have been thinking!

You know I think I'm worse about making comments when I haven't been to the games! Must get over this obsession with our wonderful football and team. That goal where John Boy gets the assist! Fantastic, really fantastic. Corner from Silva to KDb back to Silva to Alvarez back to Silva to Stones and bang, bang, bang, Haaland.
Right I have a life. ta ta have a good day!

I agree we shouldn't be conceding 2 from 2 chances, though to be fair 1 of the 2 wasn't the first goal (which for me was one of those you can't do much about). The second goal definitely shouldn't have happened, as we should have been taking a free kick instead, not sure when a forearm smash to the face became a legal challenge ?

Ederson could have done much more in the lead up to the first goal. That was a sloppy bit of play that ultimately cost us a goal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.