Crystal Palace (H) | Post Match Thread

Great game from Foden. Genius from Haaland. That last goal of Haaland's was amazing - shields a defender, calls for the ball, gets it, at which time he's pressured by two defenders, and calmly slots it home. Fantastic!

Paddy is not the only manager who instructs his team to run down the clock from the first kick. Ten or fifteen teams last season demonstrated that it was their major tactical manoeuvre after fielding a team of cross country runners who could maintain some shape using a four man defensive midfield and a back five. I just cannot understand what refs are upto with completely ignoring the timewasting. Fifty thousand inside the stadium knew what that goalie was about. Why are refs so bloody keen on blowing for a foul when the 'foul' of timewasting appears not to register on any odd brain cell they have.
The only offence is "delaying the restart of play". It has to be more blatant than walking slowly to take a goal kick. Oddly, he was still doing it when they fell behind. (One of the ballboys at the north stand did his own bit of timewasting in giving the ball back to the keeper.)

Yeah I did, he threw his forearm/elbow into Cancelo's face so I think it was a red card offence
Cool. I have to admit it looks more and more like a red card every time I see it as there was no need for the attacker to swing his arm.
One of the limitations is that VAR can deem it a foul and yellow card offence (or even a goal kick rather than a corner) but no action is taken.

Great game from Foden. Genius from Haaland. That last goal of Haaland's was amazing - shields a defender, calls for the ball, gets it at which time he's pressured by two defenders, and calmly slots it home. Fantastic!
I said at the time, it's one of the best goals I've seen at the etihad. The ball from Gundo, his strength to hold off two players, and the placement

Only caught MoTD as was working but thought it was strange they were talking about the ball not being fully released.

Had a mooch around the IFAB website and from what I read under rule 11.2 the ref was spot on as technically it comes under offside.

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

• interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
    • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
    • challenging an opponent for the ball or
    • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
    • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
Edit: Meant to add if that wasn’t an obvious action to prevent Eddy from playing the ball then I don’t know what the fuck is.
It’s clearly against the rules. Media would argue otherwise as it’s us and usual suspects on here lap it up and say we were “lucky”. We’re we also lucky that the first goal wasn’t ruled out for coming off their players hand and the second clear foul and potential red card and when the trippier red was wrongfully downgraded last week?

I don’t get Cancelo. He’s so uneven. One week he is handsdown the best right back in the world. Another week he can be so absolute shit. It’s almost fascinating.
He's fantastic as soon as he crosses the half way line when attacking. A lot like Trent Alexander at LFC. I do wonder if City will play three at the back at some point. I think Foden on the left (who played there a bit yesterday) and Cancelo on the right could cause a lot of damage as wingbacks in front of Stones, Diaz, and Laporte.

Surely not.

There wasn't a lot anyway.
I didn’t think Guita was that unduly slow at restarting the game at goal kicks. Seemed to me that the crowd wanted in to run to place the ball down and kick it immediately.

It’s just a fact of life these days that when your team is losing, the opposition keeper gets the brunt of the abuse.

Guess it’s just a natural way us fans try to get our team an edge to get back into the game, but no one will ever get 2 yellow cards for Timewasting, so it may well be misspent energy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.