Crystal Palace's 'No Goal'

PS: the first time I viewed that goal I couldn't tell exactly what happened, probably due to the camara angle. The ref obviously will have had a totally different view but if he can't see it, then he can't see it.

What's the better option?

When the whistle is blown, take 30 seconds to check whether a goal was scored?

Or having a farce like that where everyone is pissed off and the officials are made to look like clowns?

FIFA won't entertain the idea of goal line technology but this goal proves something needs to be done. How about a system where each team has 3 challenges a game. If a decision is challenged it goes to a video ref to make the decision if successful the team keeps their 3 challenges if wrong they lose one.

JohnMaddocksAxe said:
PS: the first time I viewed that goal I couldn't tell exactly what happened, probably due to the camara angle. The ref obviously will have had a totally different view but if he can't see it, then he can't see it.

Or having a farce like that where everyone is pissed off and the officials are made to look like clowns?

I couldn't tell what happened at first and I wouldn't have give the goal either. These things happen. Tuff!

They have a challenge system in NFL but they are 'punished' by losing a timeout if they use it incorrectly.

Someone will pipe up soon that "yeah, but what happens if someone goes down the other end and scores before there is a stopage in the game".

They do that all the time in NFL (well, something else significant happens, maybe not a touchdown). All the happens is that the first incident, the one that is being reviewed, turns out to have been something that would have prevented the subsequent event (a foul, a goal, etc) then the right decision is made on that one and the game is restarted from there.

No excuse for technolgy being used for certain decision.

Especially when they actually do use it on the sly for things like Zidane's headbutt and one or two other events. If that doesn't amount to an admission that Fifa think their own stance is fucked up, then I don't know what would.

Blue Hefner said:
JohnMaddocksAxe said:

I couldn't tell what happened at first and I wouldn't have give the goal either. These things happen. Tuff!

Oh, right then. So that's the best option is it. Just say tough and don't try to get the right decision. Why don't we just let refs go on until they are 80 then, not able to keep up with play, are half blind and shitting themselves in the centre circle?

They'll get loads of stuff wrong, but, hey, it's tough.

JohnMaddocksAxe said:
They have a challenge system in NFL but they are 'punished' by losing a timeout if they use it incorrectly.

Someone will pipe up soon that "yeah, but what happens if someone goes down the other end and scores before there is a stopage in the game".

They do that all the time in NFL (well, something else significant happens, maybe not a touchdown). All the happens is that the first incident, the one that is being reviewed, turns out to have been something that would have prevented the subsequent event (a foul, a goal, etc) then the right decision is made on that one and the game is restarted from there.

No excuse for technolgy being used for certain decision.

Especially when they actually do use it on the sly for things like Zidane's headbutt and one or two other events. If that doesn't amount to an admission that Fifa think their own stance is fucked up, then I don't know what would.

Ok let's say the 'attacking' team think the ball has crossed the line and they whip the video out and look at it. They find the ball has crossed the line but the attacker had a little pull on a defenders shirt. Do you give the goal? Or it didn't cross the line but the attacker got a nudge in the back, do you give a pen even though that wasn't what they appealed for? It would turn into a farce, leave it alone. Its not perfect but it works more times than not

The technology is there to put a camera in a snooker pocket or a cricket stump.But in the biggest grossing sport in the world,3 fat blokes huff and puff round a pitch,chasing atheletes half their age!Then to add insult to injury,the video footage is mulled over by the blokes that don't count,ie the pundits.Something needs to be done.The sad thing is,some refs seem to enjoy courting controversy.It makes them minor celebrities.

You give the correct decision. It's not difficult.

The objection you have just stated is commonplace within loads of sports that use replays, rugby and NFL being the first that spring to mind.

They give the correct decision and their officials are seemingly in possession of enough intelligence to be comfortable with making this judgement.

They don't seem to be a 'farce'. They get the correct decision on most occasions other than those where it is debatable either way and there is no clear cut answer. Then they have to make a decison based on the available evidence, just like refs do now. The difference being that they have much more available evidence.

There's no objection that can be taken seriously other than the stick in the mud, scared of change brigade either not being able to get their head around it.

Anyway, I am knackered. Goodnight

hrgiger said:
The technology is there to put a camera in a snooker pocket or a cricket stump.But in the biggest grossing sport in the world,3 fat blokes huff and puff round a pitch,chasing atheletes half their age!Then to add insult to injury,the video footage is mulled over by the blokes that don't count,ie the pundits.Something needs to be done.The sad thing is,some refs seem to enjoy courting controversy.It makes them minor celebrities.

Bang on - no reason at all why it can't be done quickly and cheaply. I work in security and there are CCTV/Video Verification systems that can be tuned to send a video clip wirelessly in real-time to prove whether the ball crossed the line, not to have it now makes no sense.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.