D-Day - Student Protests in London, 09/12/10

Scottyboi said:
And people give the edl and uaf shit.................. fucking disusting that picture of Churchill's statue. My grandad will turning over in his grave. He would of bren gunned the lot of them.

Yes it happened and it's disgusting that it did but why do you keep bringing it up? It's been discussed, everyone has agreed it's abhorrent that it did happen so I'm not sure why you feel it needs to be mentioned again.

bluemanc said:
BingoBango said:
My job does indeed require a degree, specifically a PhD in history, and without it I wouldn't have gotten a sniff. I was very lucky, in that my PhD was supported by the government-funded Arts and Humanities Research Council, which now faces the prospect of seeing its own funding getting annihilated (ditto the Economic and Social Research Council). Without that support, there would simply have been no way to afford it.

In the year since I finished said PhD, finding work has been a struggle and I've gotten by through jobbing bits of research for others. Several interviews later, I was lucky enough to be employed at UCL, working with a great bunch of folk on a fantastic project, and earning a decent wage.

In the personal sense, a university education has gotten me a good job with decent prospects of progression, doing something I love. There's a distinct thrill in seeing your work published, and others citing it critically in their own. However, the intellectual stimulation it provides in itself shouldn't be underestimated - an educated nation is a successful nation, and reducing an education to a service or a commodity is, to my mind, extremely short-sighted.

(It also got me an all-expenses paid trip to Australia during the summer, but that's another story!)

A word of warning to those thinking about becoming an academic (in the humanities, at least) - prepare yourself for a life of pimping yourself out to funding bodies for research cash, and a rather limited pool of jobs.

EDIT: I should also add, I'm very glad I've already finished my undergrad degree. Coming from a low-income family, I took the full loan amount (plus a 24-hour a week job) to get me through that and my master's. I now owe the Student Loan Company about £18,000, and the prospect of that having another £10k whacked on top is pretty unpleasant.
Tbh i find that disgusting,my generation always held the belief that we worked hard & paid taxes to give our children a chance to further themselves & possibly go to college or university,that you actually had to get into £18k of debt funding your own education is fuckin shocking.
I give in.

It's not a lot of fun, that's for sure - and I don't drink and am utterly antisocial, before all the 'pisshead students' shite comes along.

Only about £16k of that is the actual loan, the rest is interest which has accumulated in the interim. It also doesn't count the £4,000 loan I had to take out (now repaid, thank the wee man) to cover the tuition fees for my master's degree.

And yet, I consider myself, strangely, quite fortunate. If I was starting from scratch in 2012, I shudder to think how big that debt might be.

Blue Smarties said:
crizack said:
Why are people still babbling on about this?. Why don't the students have a protest about how their protests have ultimately, been a waste of time. They can even protest about whose protests are better or if they really want to push the boat out, go home an stop fuckin whinging!
Do you believe this is the end?

-- Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:14 pm --

Just chucking this out here.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/brain-op-for-student-hit-by-truncheon-2156207.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 56207.html</a>

Come on Blue Smarites, you know as well as I do that if your protesting against something that you passionately believe in it automatically means you deserve to be put in hospital!

dannybcity said:
Scottyboi said:
And people give the edl and uaf shit.................. fucking disusting that picture of Churchill's statue. My grandad will turning over in his grave. He would of bren gunned the lot of them.

Yes it happened and it's disgusting that it did but why do you keep bringing it up? It's been discussed, everyone has agreed it's abhorrent that it did happen so I'm not sure why you feel it needs to be mentioned again.

I don't care if its already been mentioned, how can you forget something like that?
Only in the UK are we soft enough to let this happen, Thailand don't fuck about.

The only good thing to come out of it is that they have been shown up big time.
And I can see a few vigilantes against the main perpetrators.

Scottyboi said:
dannybcity said:

I don't care if its already been mentioned, how can you forget something like that?
Only in the UK are we soft enough to let this happen, Thailand don't fuck about.

Thailand?! Why Thailand?

Nobody is asking you to forget but it's been done. It doesn't strengthen the argument for a rise in tution fees, it just confirms that there were anarchists and troublemakers in the protest.

dannybcity said:
Scottyboi said:

Thailand?! Why Thailand?

Nobody is asking you to forget but it's been done. It doesn't strengthen the argument for a rise in tution fees, it just confirms that there were anarchists and troublemakers in the protest.

So none of them would of been at uni? what do they just spend there lives at home waiting for a riot to arrive.

I said Thailand because when a protest escalates to the levels of yesterday, they would of used proper force to stop them.

Scottyboi said:
dannybcity said:
Thailand?! Why Thailand?

So none of them would of been at uni? what do they just spend there lives at home waiting for a riot to arrive.

I said Thailand because when a protest escalates to the levels of yesterday, they would of used proper force to stop them.

And you think that would be a good thing?

Blue Smarties said:
crizack said:
Why are people still babbling on about this?. Why don't the students have a protest about how their protests have ultimately, been a waste of time. They can even protest about whose protests are better or if they really want to push the boat out, go home an stop fuckin whinging!
Do you believe this is the end?

-- Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:14 pm --

Just chucking this out here.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/brain-op-for-student-hit-by-truncheon-2156207.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 56207.html</a>

pmsl They government won't take much more of it, if they let the riot squaddies on you your fucked.

And what was the person doing to receive a whack?

Water cannons for me, no one hurt everyone goes home because it's fucking freezing.

Obviously only when the peaceful demonstration stops.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.