Dangerous Dogs

I'm not disputing that. But Cockers can still be aggressive and cause damage. I wouldn't leave any small child unsupervised with any dog. Younger children are more likely to treat animals like toys and unknowingly provoke dogs with rough play and have been shown to mistake a dog bearing teeth for smiling.
I dont think anyone sensible would argue that any dog has the potential to be aggresive.
I have a springer and a jackapoo who are so gentle , never showed any aggression to people or dogs, just lovely natured dogs. But would NEVER 100% trust them with little kids. A pal came round with his twin girls (age 4) who proceeded to clamber on my big daft springer. Was surprised that i had to tell them to get off as he just stood there .

I think the point is, a dog like a bully, a staffy etc has the potential to cause utter devastation if they snap.

The figures of attacks and deaths by certain breeds dont lie

There was a woman on the radio yesterday, some sort of dog expert, saying its not the dog, its the owner. Which to a point is true.
She also said an XL bully shows similar traits to a yorkshire terrier in so much that they like to ‘rag’ about whatever they get a grip on. So that we shouldnt stigmatise dogs like XL bullies.
Also that people feel the need to have such dogs for protection as the police service dont offer it.

I think when ‘experts’ like this are spouting shite like this, weve no chance
That’s exactly the type of shit I was talking about before, when a domesticated dog grips and shakes something, it literally is its killer instinct from its wild past showing through.

So we've got 11 million dogs in the UK but we've gone to defcon 1 over six attacks. Come on seriously!!
I'd take my dog over a human anytime.
Six attacks? No, six deaths. But it's not really six deaths, it's at least 10 since the first one from this breed, and several more that are from an unconfirmed but not banned breed, which could also fit the profile. And it's not 10 deaths out of 11 million dogs, it's 10 deaths caused by the few thousand of this particular breed. Less than 1% of the dog population, but over half of the deaths. Yeah, it's the breed that's the problem. It's not a suitable pet in the same way that a hyena isn't a suitable pet.

Which isn't to say we shouldn't also do something about irresponsible owners. The number of dog bites treated by the NHS has almost tripled in the last 20 or so years. But the reality is that there will always be irresponsible owners. There will always be owners who want to use their dog to compensate for their tiny dick. And that's why you need to limit their access to dangerous dogs in the same way that you limit their access to guns and other harmful things. Let's be honest, this breed is a loophole for people who aren't allowed a pitbull, and all they're wanting to do is close the loophole.

All dogs are potentially dangerous, the easiest solution would be to pass a law that all dogs, when out in the public domain, must be muzzled. Break the law and the dog is destroyed- harsh I know but it would solve the problem.
I mean, a good start would the law being that dogs have to stay on a lead at all times in public areas.

The old 'don't worry he's friendly', as their dog comes flying over to yours, would then be prevented.

Our dog is friendly but we choose to keep him on a lead all the time, as he's too adventurous and would just fuck off at the sniff of a cat or squirrel.

I actively try and avoid other dogs and their owners when out on a walk, and tbh my dogs not remotely interested in other dogs whilst walking, too busy sniffing out the cats and squirrels!

But a yorky shaking something about in comparison to a bully is light and day.
Yes of course mate, that’s just common sense, I thought you were saying she was implying it (gripping and shaking) was almost breed specific (which I’ve heard some ‘experts’ claim) when it clearly isn’t, just put it down to crossed wires and too early in the morning bud :-).

I mean, a good start would the law being that dogs have to stay on a lead at all times in public areas.

The old 'don't worry he's friendly', as their dog comes flying over to yours, would then be prevented.

Our dog is friendly but we choose to keep him on a lead all the time, as he's too adventurous and would just fuck off at the sniff of a cat or squirrel.

I actively try and avoid other dogs and their owners when out on a walk, and tbh my dogs not remotely interested in other dogs whilst walking, too busy sniffing out the cats and squirrels!
Trouble with that mate is it relies too heavily on the dog owner/walker being suitable for the job of handling that particular dog.

Where I live now is the worst place I’ve ever known for it and it’s only a quiet little no mark town, yet I’ve had to contend with a 70 year old man and his supposed 12 stone Ridgeback, some young lad with a vicious Akita on an extender lead whilst carrying a new born baby in one of those wrap things, some young girl with an XL Bully whilst not paying the slightest bit of attention and just pissing about on her phone, the list is endless here really.

Trouble with that mate is it relies too heavily on the dog owner/walker being suitable for the job of handling that particular dog.

Where I live now is the worst place I’ve ever known for it and it’s only a quiet little no mark town, yet I’ve had to contend with a 70 year old man and his supposed 12 stone Ridgeback, some young lad with a vicious Akita on an extender lead whilst carrying a new born baby in one of those wrap things, some young girl with an XL Bully whilst not paying the slightest bit of attention and just pissing about on her phone, the list is endless here really.
I don't disagree at all, I've seen similar around our area, especially the ones pissing about on their phones, or worse actually mid-phone call!

Just got to try and control your situation as best you can and just literally avoid people as much as possible. I've had times when owners shout across the road to me asking if their dog can come and say hello! Some people just want it to be a social occasion, and then spend 10 minutes chewing your ear off!

I don't disagree at all, I've seen similar around our area, especially the ones pissing about on their phones, or worse actually mid-phone call!

Just got to try and control your situation as best you can and just literally avoid people as much as possible. I've had times when owners shout across the road to me asking if their dog can come and say hello! Some people just want it to be a social occasion, and then spend 10 minutes chewing your ear off!
I don’t think there’s an easy answer tbh Chris, its not something anybody is going to remedy overnight that’s for sure.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.