Daniel Agger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Agger Bid

Blue Haze said:
Cheers for the info. If the difference is only 4m, that shouldn't be a problem.

Interesting tweet
David Anderson ‏@MirrorAnderson

I think Brendan Rodgers would drive Agger to the Etihad if he thought City would pay anything decent for him. Doesn't seem to rate him.

Really?

Wouldn't read much into that. Tony Barrett of the Times is basically the gospel when it comes to Liverpool news, and he suggests otherwise.

Interestingly, Barrett does suggest Liverpool may ask for Adam Johnson in the deal. Would any of you be willing to do that? Personally, I'd love him at Liverpool. Could be perfect for us.

A stat that may interest you all, and backs up my earlier assertion about Agger being brilliant at reading the game and intercepting passes, a tweet by WhoScored:

WhoScored.com @WhoScored
Daniel Agger: Only Daniele De Rossi (22) made more interceptions at Euro 2012 than Agger (21), even though Denmark played just 3 games

The lad shone in a group containing Netherlands, Germany and Portugal, and made some people's team of the tournament. Don't worry about his ability, it's there.

Blue Haze said:
WeAllHateUnited said:
1.618034 said:
Nice one WAHU... So how much do you reckon he's worth/we'll get him for?

Thanks mate. And cheers to others for the positive feedback.

I've just finished reading an article by Tony Barrett of the Times (behind the paywall unfortunately, or I'd link it here, but don't want to breach copyright) who is about as reliable as things come with Liverpool information. He says we want to hold out for £22m, and will point to the fee paid for Lescott.

What do I think he's worth? Difficult question. Ability-wise, £22m is fair. He's an excellent player that would improve most sides. But he's 27 and has a bad injury record, so I could see reason for City not wanting to pay more than say £18m. I gather that Lescott was a similar age when you signed him, but had played far more consistently. I rate Lescott highly, and think he and Agger (while different in style) are very comparable ability-wise, and would challenge each other for a starting berth.

It's a tricky one. Some sort of player+cash exchange compromise could suit all parties, involving one of your fringe players. One thing working in City's favour will be the fact that Liverpool have let a lot of players leave already (Kuyt, Maxi, Aquilani and soon to be Bellamy) and only brought in Borini, so we need cash fast to start making signings.

Interesting tweet

I think Brendan Rodgers would drive Agger to the Etihad if he thought City would pay anything decent for him. Doesn't seem to rate him.

Really?

If that's true and I were a Liverpool fan I'd be scared shitless of a life under Rogers. Agger is quite clearly one of their best players :S

WeAllHateUnited said:
Hamann Pineapple said:
You're taking it much better than I would. I hated it when Chelsea took Wright-Phillips from us, I should have been used to it as all our half decent players moved on. Agger's ball playing abilities are clearly what Mancini likes and chances are he'll play fewer games with us hopefully easing his injury chances. Looking forward to our first away game of the season, good luck after that ;)

In recent years we've had Real Madrid come in for Alonso, Barcelona come in for Mascherano, Chelsea for Torres, and perhaps now you lot for Agger. Alonso and Torres were the hardest pills to swallow. We got 20m for Mascherano who only had a year left on his deal, so that was okay. Alonso was tough to take because he was so obviously brilliant. Torres was difficult because it was to a rival. In fact, Torres felt like that really hot girlfriend that cheated on you with that guy you hate. Fortunately, he's now like that ex-girlfriend who used to be hot but has put on a few pounds and argues a lot with that guy you hate.

But back on topic: what makes the Agger situation different for me is that there's no animosity between myself and City, and while he's an excellent player, we could do with the money. With a few clever moves we could maybe come out a stronger squad as a whole.

Short-sighted as this may sound, City aren't on my radar right now, nor are we on yours. I'm looking at teams like Newcastle, Spurs and Arsenal (if RVP leaves) and thinking about 4th/5th place. So if Agger goes anywhere, why shouldn't it be to a team striving to deny Un*ted titles?
I like you!<br /><br />-- Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:51 pm --<br /><br />
LoveCity said:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/aug/06/manchester-city-daniel-agger-liverpool?newsfeed=true

£22million is a bit high but if what the article says, that Liverpool would be interested in Johnson, that could help the deal as they're sure to overrate Johnson's value.

Maybe they'll offer £35,000,000 for AJ?

california blue said:
i think AJ is a no go mancini doesnt rate him but we need him to make the numbers up. AJ also signed a new deal recently so his wages will be insane.

Have to say i have been dissapointed with him in pre season - he had an awful lot of one on ones in the games and did not have a go - compare that to how Milner played then AJ is down the pecking order

What i dont get is that clearly he is a talented lad - just looking at his goals last season its clear for all to see but just not consistent enough 0 sadly because he was always one of my favorite players

LoveCity said:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/aug/06/manchester-city-daniel-agger-liverpool?newsfeed=true

£22million is a bit high but if what the article says, that Liverpool would be interested in Johnson, that could help the deal as they're sure to overrate Johnson's value.

After watching AJ play wingback against Wolfsburg, seems to me like his opportunities will be numbered.

He needs a stable environment where he gets consistent minutes.

WeAllHateUnited said:
Interestingly, Barrett does suggest Liverpool may ask for Adam Johnson in the deal. Would any of you be willing to do that? Personally, I'd love him at Liverpool. Could be perfect for us.

A lot of City fans don't want to see Adam go, but everyone understands his situation. He's at an age where he has to think about his career, it's sad to see a young player on the bench. If AJ wants to leave, I can't see anyone at City standing in his way. Not that we're eager to ship him off, Mancini seems to like him in the squad despite his lack of playing time.

WeAllHateUnited said:
Blue Haze said:

Interesting tweet

Really?

Wouldn't read much into that. Tony Barrett of the Times is basically the gospel when it comes to Liverpool news, and he suggests otherwise.

A stat that may interest you all, and backs up my earlier assertion about Agger being brilliant at reading the game and intercepting passes, a tweet by WhoScored:

WhoScored.com @WhoScored
Daniel Agger: Only Daniele De Rossi (22) made more interceptions at Euro 2012 than Agger (21), even though Denmark played just 3 games

The lad shone in a group containing Netherlands, Germany and Portugal, and made some people's team of the tournament. Don't worry about his ability, it's there.
Definitely as long as we got another winger in

WeAllHateUnited said:
I’d like to prefix this post by letting you all know that I’m a Liverpool fan, but I’m not here to troll, wind anyone up, or irritate. In fact, I feel forever indebted to City for giving me one of the most hilarious and satisfying moments in my life as a football follower, when you took the title away from the Scum with only moments left in the season. The look on Whiskey-Nose’s face as the news broke around the Stadium of Light was truly a sight to cherish. As they say, the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

So why am I here? Well it seems like your club have serious interest in our Daniel Agger, and it also seems (according to reliable LFC-based sources) that Rodgers is willing to sell. Don’t take his willingness to part with the player as any indication of his ability, because Agger is an excellent footballer, it just appears that our American owners are (rightly) disappointed with Kenny’s wasteful spending last season, and would like to see some sales before purchases. Rodgers wants to raise funds to stamp his mark on the squad, and depressingly for us Liverpool fans, it appears Agger is the one to be sold.

Agger’s been in the league for some time now, but you may still not know as much as you’d like about him. He’s struggled with injuries a lot, but last season was his best yet in terms of fitness and playing time which should give some hope that he’s starting to put his injury worries behind him. He’s left-footed, cultured and comfortable on the ball, but not afraid to get stuck in either. While Skrtel has been the man to put in the rugged robust challenge for us, Agger is one of the best central defenders in Europe in my opinion at making timely interceptions (statistics back this up). He reads the game so well. He’s got a wicked left peg that can really strike a ball, and he loves to link with the midfield and join the attack (but in a much more measured and less reckless way than, say, David Luiz).

I’m a realist. I understand that as a football side, Liverpool are years and many good decisions away from competing with yourselves, the Scum, and Chelski. I mention good decisions, because our decline has been punctuated by bad ones: replacing Alonso with Aquilani, replacing Mascherano with Poulsen (!!), replacing Torres with the Donkey from Shrek, and replacing our best manager in years with the tactical dinosaur that is Uncle Woy. It’s because of our current plight that I understand, unlike some other Liverpool fans, that we’re not going to be able to keep a player like Agger from moving to City. The promise of consistent title challenges, European nights and playing with a cast of world-class players is something I cannot begrudge a 27-year old entering the peak of his powers, and something we can’t offer right now.

It’s for this reason that, if an agreement is/has been reached with City, I wish Daniel Agger the best of luck (when he’s not playing us!) and expect to see him forge an absolutely formidable partnership with Vincent Kompany in the middle of the park.

Cheers.

Excellent post. Welcome!

Agger is, no doubt, a quality player. He would only improve our squad. Therefore, he is a massive YES for me. As many other posters have said, his injury troubles may not be such a big issue for us, as we obviously have Lescott available too.

Hopefully, this could work out as a good deal for both ourselves and your lot. Assuming this is going to happen. I'd be quite happy if I was a Liverpool fan, at the minute. Not because of the drop in form in recent years. Mostly, because I think your future is bright, under Rodgers. You have said yourself that since Benitez's departure, you have not bought well and have spent a lot. Much like Hughes did with us. We are still feeling the brunt of this, trying to get rid of players with no desire to help the club progress and happy just to accept their, astronomical, weekly wage.

Anyway, all the best for the new season. Maybe we could have you as our rivals instead of that shower of shite from stretford. Who knows....?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.