Darren Bent £18m to Villa

MeatnSpudsMCFC said:
Pigeonho said:
This!
Robinho
Jo (even the lesser reported fee)
Milner

I think its a different case though... to the sheikh its like a fiver and he probably makes it all back in 10-20 mins. To Villa its alot of money, we pretty much have unlimited funds. Villa only have the money they make back off transfers going out.
I thought Lerner wanted to cut back on spending and oneil said he couldn't take the club forward without spending so he left! Really baffling me this transfer

NDJ said:
MeatnSpudsMCFC said:
I think its a different case though... to the sheikh its like a fiver and he probably makes it all back in 10-20 mins. To Villa its alot of money, we pretty much have unlimited funds. Villa only have the money they make back off transfers going out.
I thought Lerner wanted to cut back on spending and oneil said he couldn't take the club forward without spending so he left! Really baffling me this transfer
It is baffling, from the players point of view more than the club in my opinion. Also, as a Villa fan it would make me want to cry as it means Houllier is staying for some time if his chairman is giving him £24m to spend on one player. Villa fans can't stand Houllier, so whether they're getting a good player or not, it means the manager they haven't taken to is there for the foreseeable future. Bummer!

there seems to be a link that bent may come in because A Young may be going out. If that is the case then they won't be that different.

Ideally they lose ashley and bent doesn't go through in time.

If AY stays and they just sign Bent then Villa will be a different proposition as their problem recently has been scoring goals and bent will certainly give them a lift.

From a footballing point of view it seems very odd - Sunderland in the top 6 v Villa in a Relegation fight? He's also played his best football at Sunderland and salvaged his reputation in doing so.

From a personal point of view you can sort of understanding it though.
He's a London boy and wants to be close to home / family, he's not the first and wont be the last player to let geography dictate where he plays.

I laughed when I saw this story. Bent is a good enough goalscorer for a reasonable Premiership side - but Villa are being taken to the cleaners for that fee.

Relegation will cost Lerner far more than the money for Bent will but a wiser Manager could find 3 or 4 players with clever transfers. Houllier was a poor choice.

Blue-Eyes said:
From a footballing point of view it seems very odd - Sunderland in the top 6 v Villa in a Relegation fight? He's also played his best football at Sunderland and salvaged his reputation in doing so.

He's a London boy and wants to be close to home / family, he's not the first and wont be the last player to let geography dictate where he plays.

i suspect it's more to do with a better financial package on offer from villa.

Blue-Eyes said:

He is not a london boy, he grew up 5 miles from me and i didnt live in london until i was 23 but still in terms of going back to Huntingdon it will be alot closer

big gamble for bent this, why not just stay where the fans love him and hes been scoring goals, hes from huntingdon though not london so birmingham is less than an hour away i suppose if he wants to be nearer family

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.