David Silva - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was winning balls and tackling Pogba, out of all people. He was physically outmatched and it wasn't even close but he was persistent and gritty, and won the ball more often than not. We all know he's magic with the ball, but his defensive contribution cannot be understated.

I've seen him sticking his foot in plenty but he had a determination yesterday that he was not getting bullied,great to have him back and bang in form

The issue with Silva in the past has not been that he won't tackle or track back, it has been getting him to do it consistently enough. His work rate and that of his team mates has gone up in response to Pep's arrival. Pep wants his players to run, run run and will not accept any lack of effort and intensity. Merlin has responded to the challenge and long may that continue.

He absolutely bossed the midfield yesterday, and was so strong and physical. Broke up their play and won the 50:50s. Outstanding.

He absolutely bossed the midfield yesterday, and was so strong and physical. Broke up their play and won the 50:50s. Outstanding.

Reminded me of a Modric type performance. They aren't the biggest physically but when they put in the effort they can still compete and succeed in that position. I have loved watching Silva ever since we signed him, but I was worried this pre season that he may not fit the new system. To see him dominate the midfield at old trafford, in a new system the way he did yesterday was a football masterclass and a joy to watch. Long may it continue.

Had KDB not played out of his skull, Silva was there to scoop up all the MOTM plaudits. Unfortunately, there couldn't be THREE awards, because our midfielders would have won all three. Immense, all three, but Silva, who has been brilliant throughout his career at City, has stepped it up to another level under Pep.

Absolute class. 10/10. 100/100. Beyond brilliant.

Merlin was amazing and it is a scary thought that he might not be able to sustain it for long, after all he's 30 and not exactly a physical specimen like Ronaldo is. With that in mind, looking at the way contributes defensively, I can completely see him transitioning into a Pirlo style deep-lying-playmaker for us. Playing that position would lessen the physical toll of running back and forth the pitch. I hope we can squeeze every bit of magic inside him until the last drop and he could play at least 4-5 years more for us. But in order for that to happen we must manage him correctly and not run him to the ground.

He's lost some weight and cut his hair.
He looks fit, sharp and has clearly got over his ankle issues.
Great to have him back to his very best.
My favourite City player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.