David Silva...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Silva - best since Bell?

oakiecokie said:
chris85mcfc said:
One thing that has never really crossed my mind, and its a question I hope we never have to visit, how much is he worth?

For me he is twice the player that Ozil is he can completely control a game and isn't shy of putting his foot in when he needs to.

If we make King Colin at £100M+ compaired to Bales fee,then that would not be enough.DS now ? £50-£70-M surely.

Gutted I never got to see Bell play so I don't really like talking about players who I can't judge myself, so ill take your word for it on how good he actually was.

Silva is an absolute class act, is he replaceable? I don't think you could replace him like for like but if we were to ever sell him who could we bring in that would make up for Silvas ommision?

Yaya, Vinny, Aguero, Zabba and Silva are the only players I think id be genuinely upset to see leave. All class acts and will go on to be City legends and talked about in 50 years time.

Bell was my favourite player back then. Silva is now.

But they were nothing like each other in style, role, physique, etc. so comparisons don't make much sense to me. Colin was a box-to-box dynamo, fast, strong and a major goalscorer. Merlin is a provider and lock-picker, silken and subtle.

We are just lucky to have seen both play in sky blue.

I think my referencing of Bell may have fudged my point, apologies.

Dave is obviously a very different player to Bell.

My opinion and intention was to state and ask is he the greatest City player since Bell?

I love Sergio to bits, and he could well surpass them all, but Silva is in to his fourth year with us, something I thought would not be possible.

He signed a new deal last season and just feel he is only now coming in to his peak years, and he's the best I have seen.

Colin Bell was a Rolls Royce footballer, with everything in his locker and a great temprement to boot. probably a better all round player than the probing Silva.

blueyorkie said:
oakiecokie said:
blueyorkie said:
I love David Silva to bits but he is a totally different type of player to Colin, if you were to make a comparison with any current player the nearest would be Yaya I would guess but the King was more hard working. He had everything good in the tackle, good header, strong with both feet, aware of the team ethic and had a great engine, in short the complete player.
David is much more silky and can play those wonderful incisive eye of the needle balls. He sees a pass better than anyone, would have been a great partnership Bell & Silva. Comparisons are not really valid, just glad these two greats are Blue legends.

Sorry mate,but that was Colins weakest part of his game !!

No need for apology its all about opinions, I just feel that he was the complete package, Gerrard + 100. We're both privilged to have seen the great man.

Certainly is BY,and I agree that Gerrard is possibly the nearest I`ve seen,but he`s still a long way behind King Colin and not a cheating dirty fooker either,a true gentleman.
A true World Class player and such a travesty that he couldn`t continue.The nearest I`ve ever come to crying at any football match was that Boxing Day v Newcastle,when he made his return.Never known a game with so much atmosphere and a big thanks must go to the Newcastle fans who were even chanting his name,such was his impact and likeability within the game from opposition supporters.

jimbopm said:
Has to be Yaya for me sorry. I believe history will show him to be our most significant player in modern times. Remember, according to Garry Cook, there is no Silva without Yaya.

That's a very different argument, though?

Yaya, the most significant? Alongside Tevez, I would probably agree.

Think Cook was stating Silva would not have joined if Yaya had not agreed to sign?

Which is Cook's roundabout way of saying Silva is a level above anyone we have.

If we are talking about the best, I put Silva out on his own at present.

The great thing is, we have a few jockeying for position and the future looks immense.

Instead of talking about one man in Bell, we could be talking about guys who are certainly above Lee and Summerbee, when it comes to Yaya, Aguero and Kompany.

Stupendous.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
I think my referencing of Bell may have fudged my point, apologies.

Dave is obviously a very different player to Bell.

My opinion and intention was to state and ask is he the greatest City player since Bell?

I love Sergio to bits, and he could well surpass them all, but Silva is in to his fourth year with us, something I thought would not be possible.

He signed a new deal last season and just feel he is only now coming in to his peak years, and he's the best I have seen.

Thats probably a better assessment Tolm,but you are quite correct,DS is certainly getting to his peak once again and on a far more consistent level.Love the guy to bits and he`s the one player that makes you sit on the edge of your seat when he`s in possession.

jimbopm said:
Has to be Yaya for me sorry. I believe history will show him to be our most significant player in modern times. Remember, according to Garry Cook, there is no Silva without Yaya.
Kind of agree with this ^^^^

Yaya's main problem is that when he is slightly off or needs to catch breath, or recover from a tackle fall, he looks lethargic, lazy Of which he is neither.

Bell was fantastic and yes I did see him play many times, massively influential and possibly more consistent but at absolute best it's A close thing between him Colin and Yaya.

It really depends upon the occasion as much as anything, big game - Yaya, David and Colin in that order! though to be fair Colin hasn't had the opportunity to play in such a fantastic team. Good discussion though.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
I have seen numerous threads in the past talking about where the likes of Yaya and Aguero stand in terms of greatness, alongside Bell and such, all more than valid.

I would just like to state in my 30 years of watching City, I have never seen a player as good as David Silva.

I've have heard all the pros and cons, he doesn't score enough goals etc.

His performance against Barcelona the other night was the greatest, most technically perfect performance I have seen from anyone in a City shirt.

His passing, his control under pressure, his ability to take the likes of Xavi and Iniesta out of the play with a turn of his body - absolutely majestic.

At Bayern, earlier this season and twice against Madrid, he was also the stand-out player on the pitch.

Bell was before my time, but up there with the King?

Have watched City since 1966 and have to agree he is certainly alongside the greats of that era... as are Yaya and Kun...

We know football was different back then, but the influence on a team would be the same... and for me, Silva has as much influence and makes this current team tick... as much as King Colin did....

I would further say... this is the best City team I've ever seen... and that includes my first heroes..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.