David Silva...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Silva - best since Bell?

I've watched City since 1956, and as good as Johnnie Crossan, Bobby Johnstone, and Colin Bell were (to name but three) David Silva is the best player I have ever seen in a City shirt. With Merlin we compete for trophies, if he was not with us, we would be a competing for 4th place in the league. He is that good.

Yes. Silva is that good.

He was the best player on the pitch against Barca and in both legs against Bayern. The bigger the opponents, the more he rises to the occasion. He's one of the best five players in the world for me.

We have got three players who would get into a world squad now. Aguero, Kompany and Silva. But Silva is the jewel in the crown for me because he can take hold of matches single-handedly. Pellegrini got it right last week: "the best player of the final ball I have ever seen".

BigJoe#1 said:
jimbopm said:
Has to be Yaya for me sorry. I believe history will show him to be our most significant player in modern times. Remember, according to Garry Cook, there is no Silva without Yaya.
Kind of agree with this ^^^^

Yaya's main problem is that when he is slightly off or needs to catch breath, or recover from a tackle fall, he looks lethargic, lazy Of which he is neither.

Bell was fantastic and yes I did see him play many times, massively influential and possibly more consistent but at absolute best it's A close thing between him Colin and Yaya.

It really depends upon the occasion as much as anything, big game - Yaya, David and Colin in that order! though to be fair Colin hasn't had the opportunity to play in such a fantastic team. Good discussion though.

I know its all about opinions but if you actually saw Colin play,then how on earth can you place him behind Toure and David ?? No comparison and he was by far and away the most complete footballer,compaired to the other two players.
I can only assume you saw Colin after his injury ??

tolmie's hairdoo said:
jimbopm said:
Has to be Yaya for me sorry. I believe history will show him to be our most significant player in modern times. Remember, according to Garry Cook, there is no Silva without Yaya.

That's a very different argument, though?

Yaya, the most significant? Alongside Tevez, I would probably agree.

Think Cook was stating Silva would not have joined if Yaya had not agreed to sign?

Which is Cook's roundabout way of saying Silva is a level above anyone we have.

If we are talking about the best, I put Silva out on his own at present.

The great thing is, we have a few jockeying for position and the future looks immense.

Instead of talking about one man in Bell, we could be talking about guys who are certainly above Lee and Summerbee, when it comes to Yaya, Aguero and Kompany.

Stupendous.

Obviously it's a subjective case and I wasn't alive when Colin Bell graced the Maine Road turf but I'd still go for Yaya. If you're talking of stamina, goals from midfield, adaptable, and a big game player. I think Yaya has those qualities in more abundance than Silva. But you're right, it's great that we can debate about which player in this current team is as good as our greatest ever. 15 years ago we would be arguing about whether our players were fit enough to wash Colin Bell's car!

Can't believe the amount of people saying Yaya. Great player at times, but not as "gifted" as Silva. If I had to place our players in order of "who would I most not want to lose" it would be

1) Silva
2) Kompany
3) Aguero
4) Ya Ya

Didsbury Dave said:
Can't believe the amount of people saying Yaya. Great player at times, but not as "gifted" as Silva. If I had to place our players in order of "who would I most not want to lose" it would be

1) Silva
2) Kompany
3) Aguero
4) Ya Ya

You could argue Yaya is either at his peak or will be coming down the other side of that hill over the next 18 months.

I also put Aguero ahead of Yaya, and do believe, much as he is a great player, Yaya may be easier to replace than say any of the others on your list?

The scary thing is that Kompany is only 27 and the more trophies he leads us to, the more his legend will be cemented, despite not have the glamour of an attacking player.

Silva has just turned 28 and it's quite ridiculous that Aguero is only 25.

I do believe if Aguero sticks around for another three years we could have a candidate for the world footballer of the year.

He regressed a little later in the Mancini era but tho season he has been magnificent. He's heading into his prime now and that can only strike fear into the premier league and europe. If he can stay fit and learn to finish better he will be talked about as one of the best in the world.

In my opinion each of those players is pretty much the same on importance and each have been our 'best player'. All have been integral to our rise in different ways.

Kompany = Toure = Silva = Aguero.

Zin 'messiah' Zimmer said:
Controversial but I think nasri has been the better of the two this season and more integral to our new style....

Great player though, a joy to watch....

Nasri would be my player of the season if it all stopped now but I do not think he is quite as good as Silva.

Is Silva the best since Bell? The only competitors for that accolade are Yaya, Kun and maybe Vinnie but the latter cannot match the skill on the ball of the other three.

The combination of Yaya, Silva, Nasri and Aguero is one that is rivaled only by the Spanish giants and Bayern, IMO.

If pressed, my pick is still Yaya.<br /><br />-- Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:30 pm --<br /><br />
Didsbury Dave said:

1) Silva
2) Kompany
3) Aguero
4) Ya Ya

Dave,

Yaya has strengths that Spanish Dave doesn't. It's a close call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.