David Silva

Imo we need to see the vintage DS back before the Real Madrid game or he doesn't start the game. Can't afford sentimentality at this stage.

Definitely. Rest him up as best we can. He's a different level when at his usual best but this injury is clearly harming his performances. We've got Nasri for Chelsea and if we can't beat Newcastle without him then there are bigger issues.

If Sterling is back, I'd have Sterling and Navas wide of Aguero with KDB in the no.10 role and the two Fern's holding. Better balance there, Silva could come on and KDB could push wider if necessary. Either way, cannot wait to play this semi final, my thoughts regarding the CL have changed completely following this years run. Being in the semi final feels like we've arrived at the top table in Europe on the pitch finally, regardless of what our league performances might be like.

Definitely. Rest him up as best we can. He's a different level when at his usual best but this injury is clearly harming his performances. We've got Nasri for Chelsea and if we can't beat Newcastle without him then there are bigger issues.

If Sterling is back, I'd have Sterling and Navas wide of Aguero with KDB in the no.10 role and the two Fern's holding. Better balance there, Silva could come on and KDB could push wider if necessary. Either way, cannot wait to play this semi final, my thoughts regarding the CL have changed completely following this years run. Being in the semi final feels like we've arrived at the top table in Europe on the pitch finally, regardless of what our league performances might be like.

Whoever plays, I would like us to play at Chelsea, exactly the same way as we did v PSG (I'd prefer the Sevilla away formation even more but know it won't happen).

I would be tempted to ditch both Silva & Yaya v Real at least for the first half. Solid midfield 3 then KDB Sterling & Aguero. But of course if Yaya & Silva are right on it prior to that I would consider playing one of them, or maybe 45 each. Not starting both together imo.

It's evident he's being rested but he finds himself now in a procarious position IMO. If he doesn't get his ankle sorted in the summer he becomes a huge problem as he's taking a foreign spot when he may spend a long time of next season injured and therefore unable to play. I also can't see how he can play in a Pep team with the required intensity if his ankle injury is as severe as is made out.

I've openly criticised the comp. I hadn't enjoyed it, I found it to be a disapointment most of the time and a frustrating watch. It was lost on me what the competition was all about.

All along what was missing is the realisation of the feeling of what the latter stages was like. When the final whistle went the other night i thought to myself "wow, my club are in the semi final of the European Cup" and I had a tear in my eye!

(That was all helped by being in my normal seat and not turfed out to somewhere random like I had been for most previous CL games and being able to sit with people I knew!)

I'm now very excited for the semis!

It's evident he's being rested but he finds himself now in a procarious position IMO. If he doesn't get his ankle sorted in the summer he becomes a huge problem as he's taking a foreign spot when he may spend a long time of next season injured and therefore unable to play. I also can't see how he can play in a Pep team with the required intensity if his ankle injury is as severe as is made out.

Unless I've done all my homework wrong, there is no evidence pointing to his ankle injury being "as severe as is made out". Pain does not always correlate to the severity of one's injury, but pain does affect player performances a lot. So long as his pain issues can be resolved, I see no long-term damage done.

......When the final whistle went the other night i thought to myself "wow, my club are in the semi final of the European Cup" and I had a tear in my eye!
dont-be-wuss.png

While it hasn't been Dave's best season by any stretch - for a number of reasons - I am fed up with the "Silva is shit/finished" argument that seems to have become a fashionable opinion on here recently.
This is just framing. I doubt you'd find anyone who thinks he's finished.

But yes many have said he was shit- but in reference to specific games, as opposed to the generalized way you've tried to frame it. But that's neither here nor there.

There are about 3 or 4 legitimate positions that exist in this discussion:

1. Great player but looks like he is on the wane due to age and Injury.
2 Great player, who's been injured and forced to play injured coz others were not around, but he'd be just as great very soon when fully healthy.
3. He doesnt have the workraye to hack it in a Pep pressing team.
4. His passing is perfect for a Pep team. And he is a Pep kinds player.

None of those positions suggest his finished or shit. Even if some who believe point 3 think he should be sold, or is on the block.

I think the framing like yours do more to cloud the issue.

I've openly criticised the comp. I hadn't enjoyed it, I found it to be a disapointment most of the time and a frustrating watch. It was lost on me what the competition was all about.
All along what was missing is the realisation of the feeling of what the latter stages was like. When the final whistle went the other night i thought to myself "wow, my club are in the semi final of the European Cup" and I had a tear in my eye!

(That was all helped by being in my normal seat and not turfed out to somewhere random like I had been for most previous CL games and being able to sit with people I knew!)

I'm now very excited for the semis!

I think that's the same for all of us. I wonder if I'd be as bothered if we were challenging for the league title... if it was a thought of going to Stamford Bridge needed a win to fight for the league would I be more bothered about the league or CL?! I think a lot of us felt like the CL is pointless unless we win the league. Chelsea for instance didn't get the same plaudits as they would have if they'd have done the double. It's another English thing. I've a few Spanish friends who would want the CL over La Liga. They'd of course prefer both but the CL is the pinnacle in their eyes. Now we're in the CL semi's I don't give a toss if we get the plaudits from the press or not as we didn't win the league as well, it would feel unbelievable and those big clubs in Europe would have a lot more respect for us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.