De Bruyne?

Whilst PSG remain stronger than us in Europe we need to be careful about being too arrogant about how superior our league is. Football wise the champions league showed that at least 4 vastly inferior leagues performed much stronger than our vastly superior league.

PSG got past a team that took us apart in the prem.

As for PSG I have no doubt given they have the second richest European city to themselves and a financially powerful league they can overtake every team financially and with that possibly football wise too.

I don't hold that playing for PSG shows lack of ambition!

Some of the comments above sound a bit scouser to me.

The peak of football is winning the World Cup or the champions league at the moment World Cup wise an easier league is clearly an advantage fitness and freshness wise and it is hard to argue that psg aren't better than City champions league wise

Whilst PSG remain stronger than us in Europe we need to be careful about being too arrogant about how superior our league is. Football wise the champions league showed that at least 4 vastly inferior leagues performed much stronger than our vastly superior league.

As for PSG I have no doubt given they have the second richest European city to themselves and a financially powerful league they can overtake every team financially and with that possibly football wise too.

The peak of football is winning the World Cup or the champions league at the moment World Cup wise an easier league is clearly an advantage fitness and freshness wise and it is hard to argue that psg aren't better than City champions league wise

Nobody signs for a club based on a world cup that is three years away.

Ligue 1 is weak. Year after year many end up making moves to the PL. Now it's not just the Arsenal's and Newcastle's of the world picking out the individual talent but Villa,Swansea, West Ham etc. PSG virtually win the league because they snap up all the top talent within the league itself with the major European talent they brought in, during that one major window.

If you happened to watch the last Ligue 1 season PSG just waited for the nearest challengers to run out of gas before using their games in hand to win the league comfortably. Lyon wasn't deep enough to rotate and fatigue of a long season cost them. OM's big players all wanted out causing problems in the dressing room at the same time thus collapsing their title challenge,and as you see by the moves, the players got their wish. Monaco couldn't score goals to save their life as seen in the champions league and through all of PSG's slip ups they still walked it.

If there's some sort of personal issue that's pushing KDB to Paris then it will be hard to persuade him otherwise. But for pure footballing reasons Ligue 1 is a step back from where he's at and the other options on the table.

You misunderstand what motivates a true winner; a gladiator.

It is playing in the biggest arena every week; plying your trade where it really matters.

Ligue 1 is a distraction for PSG. For City, the Premier League offers the ultimate challenge.

That is the difference.

If I was good enough, I know where I'd want to be testing my abilities, resolve and character.

Ealing, with all due respect, I have to disagree with the statement in bold. Chelsea did not "take us apart" - they were just more consistent in the Premier League and we outplayed them in both of our league matches and should have won at least one of them. However they were worthy champions because of the fact that they were the most consistent team and we were far from it. But head to head, I take us every time.

As for PSG, they do play in a less competitive league but have bought some excellent players who would of course rise to the CL challenge. Especially when they are largely untested in their own league. Ours are fighting tooth and nail most weeks in the PL and often have some really important matches either the weekend before or after. PSG don't often have to deal with that I would wager and can pretty much concentrate on Champions League most of the time.

So yes, probably more of a chance in the CL but very much less competitive domestic league overall. Let's see what ambition the proposed players have.

Either way, 'tis a far cry from where City were when we met in Oz back in '08. ;)

Last edited:
You misunderstand what motivates a true winner; a gladiator.

It is playing in the biggest arena every week; plying your trade where it really matters.

Ligue 1 is a distraction for PSG. For City, the Premier League offers the ultimate challenge.

That is the difference.

If I was good enough, I know where I'd want to be testing my abilities, resolve and character.

Unfortunately the premier league is the amphitheatre in Lyon and the Champions league is the coliseum in Rome. If de Bruyn thinks that he can fight and win in front of Caesar in the colloseum by playing for PSG whilst having a bigger Villa and more lions he is absolutely as ambitious as if he wanted to go and win some more regular and harder fights in Lyon.

We rate hard fights against Arsentinium and Norwicestra , he may only be concerned about the very big games.

I suspect most players would take the champions league over the Prem title

Ealing, with all due respect, I have to disagree with the statement in bold. Chelsea did not "take us apart" - they were just more consistent in the Premier League and we outplayed them in both of our league matches and should have won at least one of them. However they were worthy champions because of the fact that they were the most consistent team and we were far from it. But head to head, I take us every time.

As for PSG, they do play in a less competitive league but have bought some excellent players who would of course rise to the CL challenge. Especially when they are largely untested in their own league. Ours are fighting tooth and nail most weeks in the PL and often have some really important matches either the weekend before or after. PSG don't often have to deal with that I would wager and can pretty much concentrate on Champions League most of the time.

So yes, probably more of a chance in the CL but very much less competitive domestic league overall. Let's see what ambition the proposed players have.

Either way, 'tis a far cry from where City were when we met in Oz back in '08. ;)
Times have changed! Before that it was the colloseum in Rome vs a scra outside a roman bar in the Colchester outskirts

When did Chelsea take us apart in the league? We were the better team both times we played them, just like PSG were and drew with them twice. Just like PSG did.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.