De Bruyne?

A possible explanation would be an agreement between Bayern and Wolfsburg via the VW chairman Winterkorn who is a board member with FC Bayern and indirectly the owner of VW. The advantage for Wolfsburg would be to keep De Bruyne 1 more year and get a high price for him, for Bayern the advantage would be a guarantee to get him. I am afraid this is how it will pan out, and if it is there is something not right about it. Does Bayern own the Bundesliga? How can a competing club accept such a deal? Pathetic!

but why would bayern agree to this if they think they had a chance of buying him for 50 million euros this summer

Possibly. But as you say that would be appalling. I seems completely wrong that a Chairman of a company that owns one sports team within the league can also sit on the board with another. That's just absurd really. Bayern will completely monopolise the league, more so than they have already, and really someone needs to look into that. I hadn't appreciated that which is why I found the situation a bit bonkers. Surely other board members of Bayern would be querying that? Why would they be happy to pay more money rather than get him now? I can understand why VW would be happy with the arrangement...
I too thought there were rules against this kind of thing. There were plenty of raised voices here when Lampard was loaned to City, and some of those voices were high up in the game as I recall.

Once again we appear to be missing out on one of the rising young players of European football. A recurring theme in the last few years. Obviously we can't force a player to join at gunpoint, but we seemed to have more appeal before we even broke into the Champions League and could simply flash more cash than the rest (Tevez, Silva, Yaya).

At least most have put aside the 'How good can someone be if [rival club] sell him?' nonsense and realise the quality of a player isn't fixed for the length of his career. De Bruyne would have been an incredible signing, less silky and technically sublime than your typical Spaniard but direct and impactful. So who's next... hopefully we can land Sterling.

but why would bayern agree to this if they think they had a chance of buying him for 50 million euros this summer

VW Chairman... VW own Wolfsburg = more money for Wolfsburg = happy days
VW Chairman... Bayern board member = they still get the player/do they care about the extra money?

It's whether other Bayern board members care?

Either way, it stinks that this is allowed. I don't mind missing out on him if he wants Bayern, but there are surely rules against this the same way our owners couldn't buy up another team in the same country... Has the VW Chairman got any specific power within Wolfsburg? They own the team yes, but there must be an entirely different set of board members controlling things to avoid this. Still, a gentle word in the ear is all it would take.

Once again we appear to be missing out on one of the rising young players of European football. A recurring theme in the last few years. Obviously we can't force a player to join at gunpoint, but we seemed to have more appeal before we even broke into the Champions League and could simply flash more cash than the rest (Tevez, Silva, Yaya).

At least most have put aside the 'How good can someone be if [rival club] sell him?' nonsense and realise the quality of a player isn't fixed for the length of his career. De Bruyne would have been an incredible signing, less silky and technically sublime than your typical Spaniard but direct and impactful. So who's next... hopefully we can land Sterling.

Are you just praising Spanish players, or do you think KDB is Spanish?! He's not in case you wondered!
This is still all talk before you get too pessimistic.

Is this de bruyne fella really £40 mill worth of talent?

It's hard to imagine he improved that much since he couldn't force his way in at chelsea.

Absolutely nowhere near it, but that is now the kind of money players with a reasonable amount of talent & promise are going for, thanks to wankers like Utd once again vastly inflating the transfer market, like they have been doing for decades.

Totally unproven at Premier League level, prone to periods of laziness in games, absolutely no guarantee of being a success here, but unfortunately that costs €40 million nowardays. Ridiculous but true.

Just reading up on the Luis Gustavo transfer and it seems that VW Chairman Martin Winterkorn was perhaps involved in that one form Bayern to Wolfsburg... very odd.

Are you just praising Spanish players, or do you think KDB is Spanish?! He's not in case you wondered!
This is still all talk before you get too pessimistic.

Quite aware he's not Spanish, I meant he is not like your typical Spanish playmaker. He will lose the ball and his ball retention isn't the greatest, but his end product has been among the best on the continent this season.

And there is unfortunately a lot of credibility to the reports he'll stay at Wolfsburg, not tinpot journalists like John Cross but respected ones in both Belgium and Germany. Of course, nothing is certain until his name is signed but the signs are less than good.

Absolutely nowhere near it, but that is now the kind of money players with a reasonable amount of talent & promise are going for, thanks to wankers like Utd once again vastly inflating the transfer market, like they have been doing for decades.

Totally unproven at Premier League level, prone to periods of laziness in games, absolutely no guarantee of being a success here, but unfortunately that costs €40 million nowardays. Ridiculous but true.

That's modern football for you! Prices are hugely inflated and that's why on the flip side we were able to sell Rodwell for more than a penny last summer. Out of interest, because I do rate your opinions in regard to football, and I like to see some variety on the forum, who would you like to see City sign - or are you more interested in the promotion of youth?

Just reading up on the Luis Gustavo transfer and it seems that VW Chairman Martin Winterkorn was perhaps involved in that one form Bayern to Wolfsburg... very odd.
Yup. De Bruyne will extend his contract, and then sign for Bayern the next year for about 70m euros. Bayern and Werder will shake their hands and everybody will be hapy.

Maybe except the fans of both clubs. :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.