Declan Rice

World class talent or nothing for one of the, if not THE, most important positions in Pep’s set up. Not sure one season wonder in an average team is what this calls for.

Agreed but it might well be the case that the person who emerges as a world class talent in that role isn't somebody who is already a marquee name. I don't think Fernandinho excited that many people when we signed him. At best a few people thought he looked half decent but acknowledged it's hard to tell how someone will adapt stepping up to the Premier League from Ukraine. At worst people were fully kicking off that we hadn't signed Paulinho.

It's the kind of role where you only fully come to appreciate how brilliantly someone does it when they actually play for you and you watch them week in week out. These sorts of players don't often have amazing internet showreels that more creative players have.

Another reason to go for players like him and Chilwell is likely changes in permitted foreign players regulations after Brexit seeing as every non British player becomes ‘Foreign’.

Things could get sticky and having more English squad players might be a wise move.

Wanted us to look at him before he became a first teamer for WHam, would still have been pricey but not approaching breaking our transfer record. Aside from that I think he'd be more suitable as a centre back for us but not sure he'd shift Stones or Laporte next few years.

Looks the business but still very young we got Fernandinho at his peak, if you go for a player as young as Rice there will be a lot of downs before he hits the heights of a Fernandinho type player if he ever does.

I'd be interested to see how Pep could develop him as a player. Did some impressive work last night against a team that is top of the league.

He is young at 20 but Dinho is not finished yet so City would have time to work on him.

No idea if he is the best option out there but that's what City's scouting team are for.

Fantastic talent and has been for a while. Missed a trick before he signed new deal recently.

My mate is an Iron for 60 years - says he reminds him of Bobby Moore at same age.
Don't think he wanted to move and was always going to sign an extension, my guess is he won't move until summer 2020 at the earliest, if that's when Fernandinho leaves it might fit in well. I'd take him this summer but think we'll have to settle for somebody else for next season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.