Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone said the same about Walker, Stones and Sterling. They’ve all proven to be good value for money over the years.
Agreed but I would say Sterling and Stones were not excessive fees for the talent the players had, Walker was but as you rightly say has proved a bargain.

Two years left on his contract in the summer. If he pushes for a move, I think it will happen (as reported to either, City, United or Chelsea). Fee will be around £90 I imagine.

He is anything but average,don't be silly.

There are shades of Gerrard about him,and at 23,he will improve and probably become the most complete midfielder in the league.

It will be a huge blow if he hugely improves Chelsea or the Rags.

I only watch him when City played West Ham, and I don't remember him standing out , therefore I don't think he deserve the close to 100m valuation.

There are shades of Gerrard about him,and at 23,he will improve and probably become the most complete midfielder in the league.

Agree… Just to add; United have other areas they need to also address. They need a forward and they also need to strengthen their defence. They of course will need two CM’s, but due to other areas they need to strengthen, I am not convinced they have 90m to spend on one player. They’re not going to generate much in respect to outgoing sales.

Isn’t he a completely different player to Gerrard?

Gerrard was an explosive central midfielder who drove the team forward. Excellent delivery and had a fantastic shot on him as well. He wasn’t actually well known for his discipline in terms of sitting in. Rice is closer to Rodri by comparison I’d say.

Rice would obviously offer good cover and actual competition for Rodri, is young and already an experienced England international. Just in terms of ability + him being homegrown, he is looks like the best Fernandinho replacement out there to me. If he would be willing to accept not being a certain starter and wants to come here, he would definitely improve the squad. Not that bothered if we pay 50m or 90m for Ferns replacement, doesnt really matter if he is here a decade, we are in a position where we can pay the extra to get the man we really want. With that said, we should obviously not pay more than we think he could be worth to us.
My guess however is that he would probably not want a squad role with his next move, and could prefer a move to a club who has a place for him in their starting XI. A move to us seems unlikely based on that + we are unlikely to spend that amount on a position thats not our main priority this window.

For me, a more realistic option would be Kalvin Phillips. 2 years left on his contract this summer as well, good age for a DM, English international and would probably accept being a squad player here. Already plays the position in a system similar to ours (but not at the same level obviously) so I imagine the adaption period to how we play would not be that long. When you combine that with him probably being considerably cheaper in a window our main outlay will be focused on another position, he might be a great option for us. A bit surprised there hasn't been more links between us and this guy, seems like the obvious move to me. Maybe our scouts dont think he has what it takes to succeed here, or have other options they prefer. If thats the case I guess we should trust them.

Isn’t he a completely different player to Gerrard?

Gerrard was an explosive central midfielder who drove the team forward. Excellent delivery and had a fantastic shot on him as well. He wasn’t actually well known for his discipline in terms of sitting in. Rice is closer to Rodri by comparison I’d say.
No,i think the comparison is fair.He was initially more of a holding player due to his instincts to defend,but he is developing into a much more complete player.In recent games he has often made box to box runs,and looked dangerous on the attack - but that hasn't detracted from his holding abilities.

He has a wondeful engine,an even better attitude,and is adding more strings with experience.

In a team like ours,he would be superb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.