Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.
As good as Rice is, why not give Lavia a try in the preseason and see how he adapts to professional level? Rice would probably cost a fortune and I feel Lavia does have a lot of potential to merit a chance to develop.... Meanwhile we can play Rodri and extend Ferna for one more season.

I don’t think you read the report: Rice is a potential signing were Fernandinho to choose not to extend his contract.
Anyone who thinks Pep will play Lavia many times next season must not know Pep. Let’s assume Fernandinho doesn’t extend his contract, Rodri gets injured at the Euros and we have to play against Chelsea in the Community Shield and against United for the Supercup at the beginning of next season. Do people really think Pep would play Lavia because of a couple good games in preseason?! What he would do is improvise one of the experienced players and we have seen what can happen in that situation, for instance just look at last season.
Lavia can be around next season, but if Fernandinho is gone, a decent option with some experience needs to come. Can’t be a downgrade

Last edited by a moderator:
And sometimes that's all the kids need, a "lucky" break ,a window of opportunity
This fairy tale version is so beautiful, but in reality, things don’t work like this. Pep doesn’t work like this. And what if Lavia fails miserably in his first games in the scenario you’re envisioning? Is it fair to him? And we’re left with nothing

Last edited by a moderator:
Last time Fern was out for a significant time Gundogan took the role and did very well.
I don’t think we want Gundogan back in that role.
Again, people seem to ignore the power of a strong squad. This was our advantage this season. You can’t lose players and not replace them well.

Rice is only one of several options Pep and thr staff have discussed

I don’t think we want Gundogan back in that role.
Again, people seem to ignore the power of a strong squad. This was our advantage this season. You can’t lose players and not replace them well.
I'm not sure why we don't, I am not saying a defensive midfielder is not a possibility just that the way Pep uses players I would not be at all surprised if he was to get another 'number8' style midfielder and use others who can play further back.

Would love to sign Rice

Think he's fantastic and developed into much more than a basic DM, him and Soucek arguably been the best CM in the Prem

The big asterisk is the price, West ham reportedly want £100mil...I'm sure if we offered £70mil they would accept it but is a lot, especially given there are other defensive midfielders out there worth half that e.g. Camavinga, Zakaria, Locatelli, Neuhaus etc. Who would only set us back £30mil to £40mil

For the record, if they all cost the same amount I would pick Rice over the above, terribly underated player imo

I’m not sure Declan Rice is the player we need and I think the ‘English Premium’ would kill any prospect of a deal.... the real issue is Rodri - he’s played a lot, his passing is good, he breaks play up pretty well but he’s incredibly slow and against some teams his lack of mobility is a problem. I do think we need more than a Rodri backup - sometimes we need a Rodri alternative.

I do think we need more than a Rodri backup - sometimes we need a Rodri alternative.
I agree with this and that’s what I think Rice (or the names mentioned by @handsofstone ) would be. They wouldn’t immediately be the second choice. And we have seen Rodri and Fernandinho play together again and again, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.