Denmark v England - Thu 20th June, 17:00 | Euro 2024 Group C

Match Result Prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We can go round and round in circles about which players to pick, but the bottom line is it doesn't really matter who he picks as it will just be the same dour shite served up.

The problem is the manager, it always has been with Southgate. Italy in the final, pretty much every game of the last world cup apart from the game we actually lost, both games in this euros, the list goes on and on. The players change, but the shite served up by Southgate stays as consistent as ever.

Not random at all, my uncle was a Man City fanatic and I grew up through all the shit times for City and was delighted how things turned out. Because of that, City have been my favourite English team. I don’t know if that qualifies me, but it fucking should. As for stirring shit? What you on about? Show me an example of that.
Yer not related to that guy I met in the queue for the Ann Frank House in Amsterdam? It started a fuckin' hail storm and Mrs Ewing and I had set off with me in shorts and a City windjammer. When it started howling he looked at me and said was it warm enough for me. I said that we regarded this as a heatwave in Manchester. He called up the queue to his wife and shouted that I came from Manchester. He missed the 'Blue Army' tattooed on the front of my jacket and asked if I was a City fan. He then said that, coming from Falkirk, he couldn't understand why or how his son had become a City fan!

the criticisms of the performance and Southgate are 100 pages long, so probably no point adding to those.

Obviously a big worry now is that things need fixing mid groups (arguably needed fixing 7/8 games ago when the form was clearly bombing), but he has a game against weaker opposition (not push overs though!!) to show the fans he's on it and give them something to get behind.

My primary fixes would be to push Rice higher up, allow Stones to roam a little, let Foden do whatever he wants anywhere on the pitch, tell Bellingham to stay in a 25 yard square centrally, drop Kane for Watkins and Arnold for Gordon (who goes left while Foden is buzzing about). I think that gives is way more creativity and to be a bit higher up. The simple sloppy shit will disappear as soon as they start putting good moves together and remember they are high level footballers. I'd drop Trippier but unsure we can.

England are very very likely qualified, whether it be 1st/2nd/3rd, but clearly the anxiety in Southgate will be to avoid 3rd and to avoid Germany if finishing second. He needs to win in his head, he's destroying himself, his career and England's chances and the fan's enjoyment. It needs to radically change next game and 2nd round, England are about the poorest team of the 24 at the moment (but still have 4 points, a crack of hope & light!)

We can go round and round in circles about which players to pick, but the bottom line is it doesn't really matter who he picks as it will just be the same dour shite served up.

The problem is the manager, it always has been with Southgate. Italy in the final, pretty much every game of the last world cup apart from the game we actually lost, both games in this euros, the list goes on and on. The players change, but the shite served up by Southgate stays as consistent as ever.
Yep, had he picked from the Brazilians, French, Italians, Germans, Argentinians, 'n Spaniards World Cup winning teams we'd go one up, concede, and then fuckin' hang on for FT and then spout that a draw was a positive result.

Yep, had he picked from the Brazilians, French, Italians, Germans, Argentinians, 'n Spaniards World Cup winning teams we'd go one up, concede, and then fuckin' hang on for FT and then spout that a draw was a positive result.
Look at Spain last night. Have they got better players than us? I wouldn't say so, but they looked really good and never let Italy back into the game once they went 1-0 up. They played with purpose, had a game plan they stuck to and were clearly well managed.

Now compare that to Southgate...............

Look at Spain last night. Have they got better players than us? I wouldn't say so, but they looked really good and never let Italy back into the game once they went 1-0 up. They played with purpose, had a game plan they stuck to and were clearly well managed.

Now compare that to Southgate...............
That is the main difference between the Germans, Spanish and even the Danes - they all play with a purpose whereas England field too many who are rather fond of the Mr Micawber approach to the game - summat will turn up!

It has occurred to me that this might be at least part of the reason for England perennially underperforming. When they get to the summer they just don't have any freshness. You look at Kev, and he never really turns up for Belgium. This is arguably the best midfielder in the world for several seasons. For his club.

As for anyone saying that these England players do not have the basic ability of any other team in the tournament, sorry, but that's just laughable. Several of them — all of ours, Kane, Bellingham — play in the undisputed three best club sides in Europe, never mind England. All the others (and yes, that includes Alexander-Arnold) are very, very good players. It's not about that.
This is one of the most talented generations of England players since the 1990 team. To say, “Oh, Southgate got them to a Euro final and a WC semi-final”, well, I'm going to call it — with what he's got at his disposal, that just isn't good enough. England should be bloody winning things from time to time!
I don't think you could place Argentina's players against ours and say theirs came out on top overall. Included in their winning team were Alvarez and Otamendi. This calibre of player wouldn't start in an England team.

I take your point about players playing 60 games per season, and then going straight into another tournament. The Spanish and German players seem to be coping OK though, including Rodri, who complained of burn out earlier on this season.

Pep joined City in 2016, the same year Southgate became England manager. How many managers have looked at Pep as a reference for how to play football? Yet here we have Southgate playing the same way as back in 2016, with very little tactical innovation or adaptability.

At least he hasn't had multiple affairs though, or touted himself off as an after dinner speaker (not that anyone would want him) or football rules consultant, or employed a faith healer in his backroom team.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.