Denmark v England - Thu 20th June, 17:00 | Euro 2024 Group C

Match Result Prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Amazing how such a lazy, rubbish, overated, shit bunch of players we have ever make it to QF/Semi/Final stage in recent years - must be some great management to get these useless lot so far in tournaments.

There he is!

Who is going to start against Slovenia, Gareth? ;-)

Kalvin + 10 others

Hahaha, I love this stuff between @BlueHammer85 and the rest of you! (The truth lies somewhere between all of you and him: i.e. me…)

Amazing how such a lazy, rubbish, overated, shit bunch of players we have ever make it to QF/Semi/Final stage in recent years - must be some great management to get these useless lot so far in tournaments.
4/10
Being generous because you’ve got a hangover.

Gary Lineker's analysis is great here.

And some of what they're saying is pretty worrying, because no amount of changing players is going to improve things if the person in charge can't get the tactics right.

It's true of course but the solution is obvious. After all, Pep did it with Kun. Exactly the same problem. Kun got it, changed the way he played and was a more rounded player for it.

I do think fitness has played a part in previous tournaments. Generally the majority are going in having played in what is the most physically demanding league in the world and playing a considerable number of games. Capello made the decision to work them like dogs in 2010 doing high altitude training and we were absolutely fucked physically when it came to the tournament.

But there's also a cultural issue that's existed for just as long. We believe we're the best. Our league is the best, our players are the best. It's simply not true. We've always lagged behind our rivals when it comes to coaching and tactics. We've never appreciated or accepted that tactics are as vital as players. If you have the right system and tactical approach it can take you far in tournaments. Picking the best players as individuals doesn't work. And we've never had a manager who has been able to figure that out.

The way Southgate wants to play means it's Foden or Bellingham not both. He has to choose one and play someone who'll stretch the play wide left and run beyond Kane. It's not the way we should play or what I would do, but if that's how he wants to set up tactically then he has to pick the players to implement that system and he isn't.

Agree with nearly all of this. But the bit that I've bolded really does surprise me. I don't know a single half-way knowledgeable football fan who believes that. As for the PL, yes, it probably is the best. Even foreign managers say as much. But even though there are plenty of very good English players in the league, it's the best because it's got the pick of the world's best players, from Latin America, Asia and Africa, and only Real Madrid are bucking that trend to some extent.

I don’t hate Bellingham—there are perhaps five people on earth I hate and they are all truly horrible people.

But I do not like his current self, that I will freely admit. And i disagree with your seeming stance that Bellingham does not have outsized influence on the team.

How does he have outsized influence on the team?

The players are top notch. Its Southgate who is useless (tactically).
Some of the best players in the world. The majority playing high press, possession, attacking football. Question - why don't England play in that manner with these players. Answer - they aren't coached to.

How does he have outsized influence on the team?
It looks like he’s been given a free role to do what he wants. He has the physicality and talent to dominate the middle but he needs direction. As it is, hes just strutting all over the pitch, holding on to it for way too long, losing it then sitting on pitch demanding a foul. Hes becoming a hinderance. His ego is outsized and with no restriction or limit it’s taking over.

Back 4 adopt a high line. Compress in the attacking half. Kane needs to lead the press or be dropped.
Play high and play quicker and this team could still win the competition.
Bit difficult getting them to do that mid tournament when he has had years and years to sort it out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.