Derby Pre Match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as we compete in the middle, not having Aguero or Silva isn't the monumental shift in power we might fear. Navas and Sterling will cause trouble down the wings, Bony will throw his considerable physique around up front. Vinny and Mangala will keep it tighter than we've been of late, and with KDB in the side, he will be a threat with his shooting, deliveries, and incisive passing.
I'll be exstatic with any win, but if we lose, it is just 3 points and no need to panic!

Is Silva definitely out for Sunday? I presume so but they seeme da bit cagey about his return date.

I think he's aiming to be back for Sevilla away according to bluwhit, who knows about these things.

I think he's aiming to be back for Sevilla away according to bluwhit, who knows about these things.
Thanks, no point me worrying about him being available for Sunday then. Anyway, we have more than enough to get a result there without him.

I hope we start off at a tempo similar to when Arsenal played them. They may be slightly more organised since then, but let's not forget, that was only just over a fortnight ago. They've not suddenly become a superior team just because Rooney's found the net, or because they played well for once. The law of averages says that is gonna happen at some point, however I'm still far from convinced that they're anything other than the best of the shit.

Things happen in derbies and teams can be more up for it or lose their heads, as we all know, but if you worry on that basis it wouldn't matter if we had the greatest team on earth - you're never gonna be confident.

I'm confident because I've seen nothing this season to make me think that the rags have the quality to get a result off us. I don't expect a draw, and if we play to our potential a draw would be highly unlikely.

The Rags 3-0 win last weekend is a huge confidence boost. No matter how poor Everton were, they're tough to beat at Goodison with that crowd.

Playing in Moscow is a huge advantage for us, that will be a long trip and a cold cold game that will not be ideal prep for them.

We are without several key players who either remain injured or have been injured recently; Kompany, Kolarov, Yaya, Silva, Aguero, Delph to name a few. In my opinion we need to follow Arsenal's plan of action from their win. The rags tend to play without that natural width we're used to seeing. That's a good thing in my opinion as generally we are a lot better at defending those intricate teams that those that play quick direct football and look to get crosses in. With De Bruyne, Yaya, Fernandinho we have players who can keep the ball all day and create chances from nothing. Then with the pace of Sterling centrally, Bony holding it up and Navas wide we can create chances as Arsenal did and just need to take them. Smalling is very good at defending the likes of Bony, if we play Sterling centrally he won't get near him. He can't defend against skillful quick players as we've seen when Aguero tears him apart. We just have to manipulate the centre backs out of their comfort zone and take our chances.

We're the better side without doubt but it will be a tough game and we'll need to play at our very best to win. It's a real shame Aguero, Silva and Delph aren't available as we could do with their quality and the energy in midfield later in the game when Yaya might become exposed.

Will be an interesting game and I expect we will let them have more of the ball in this one. Arsenal only had 38% possession in their 3-0 win against them and with Silva and Nasri out, the players we have available are perfect to play on the counter. Navas, Sterling and De Bruyne will cause all sorts of problems to them if they come out and try and dominate and knock the ball around our box a lot.

Happy to play on the counter in this one with Sterling, De Bruyne and Navas exploiting the gaps on the break. I'd go with Sterling down the middle again to begin with and hopefully he'll drag either Smalling and Jones/Blind all over the show.

United are really solid in keeping possession these days so I think pressing them too high will expose us, and Martial, Rooney, etc, will become much more dangerous. I'm not worried about them picking their way through us if we keep it tight and pick our moments.

I'd have Yaya playing deep alongside Fernandinho with strict instructions to not get caught out of position. His ability to pick a pass for forward runners will be more effective than just Fernando breaking up play.

Hart

Zabaleta, Kompany, Mangala, Sagna

Fernandinho, Toure

Navas, Sterling, De Bruyne

Bony

If we were at full strength, I'd be more confident of getting the win there. With two of our key players missing though, and a few carrying knocks, I'll be happy with a draw, to be honest.

The Rags 3-0 win last weekend is a huge confidence boost. No matter how poor Everton were, they're tough to beat at Goodison with that crowd.
They might not be getting beat at home that often, but they're not winning much there either. Only won 1 this season I think.

Happy to play on the counter in this one with Sterling, De Bruyne and Navas exploiting the gaps on the break. I'd go with Sterling down the middle again to begin with and hopefully he'll drag either Smalling and Jones/Blind all over the show.

United are really solid in keeping possession these days so I think pressing them too high will expose us, and Martial, Rooney, etc, will become much more dangerous. I'm not worried about them picking their way through us if we keep it tight and pick our moments.

I'd have Yaya playing deep alongside Fernandinho with strict instructions to not get caught out of position. His ability to pick a pass for forward runners will be more effective than just Fernando breaking up play.

Hart

Fernandinho, Toure

Bony

I agree with your analysis but not your team. For me we need to play 4-3-3 with the ball and 4-5-1 without the ball to nullify United's strengths. We need to avoid chasing the ball, be patient and compact and not be too concerned with not having the lions share of possession. We win this by forcing them down dead ends and hitting them with pace on the break.

My team to do this:-

Hart

Fernandinho, Toure, Fernando

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.