Devolution For The Regions - Gtr Manchester

Not sure why you’re asking. It’s clear he’s been appointed as Prisons minister due to his heavy involvement in the rehabilitation of prisoners whether in his business or due to the work carried out by the charity he leads. His ability to run his business or charity alone haven’t qualified him for a government position.

So no difference between running a business or a charity. I agree.

@Mr Kobayashi was the one saying those who succeeded in business do not obviously make good “politicians” because of this so having a background in government or unions would be a better fit in his view. Timpson is an example of someone without this direct political experience (although I’d argue unions don’t fit either) so I was merely asking if he thought it was a good appointment under his frame of reference.

Hopefully it’s clear now.

Announcement today by Andy Burnham. A new train station. And underground plans. BBC News North West.

Where’s the new train station?

Cheadle?

Underground plans sounds like rather dramatic news.

It concerns me that Burham and Rotherhams Manchester to Liverpool line might be too ambitious to get going? They say the funding is in place, but from what I read the initial costings didn't include for the new stations required. It also comes out of Picaddilly and requires the costly HS2 tunnelling scheme.

Perhaps Andy Burnham would perhaps be better concentrating on getting smaller more affordable schemes off the ground.
Such as increasing the platform capacity at Piccadilly so that the Ordsall curve can be fully utilised, Grayling cancelled this. Extending the tram to Stockport and Middleton and out to Rochdale? Increasing frequency and capacity on existing lines such as the Ashton line now the new arena is open and the Etihad is expanding. Providing more park and ride facilities ?
Starting on the Ardwick Viaduct rail link reinstatement out to the Etihad that they are planning.

It concerns me that Burham and Rotherhams Manchester to Liverpool line might be too ambitious to get going? They say the funding is in place, but from what I read the initial costings didn't include for the new stations required. It also comes out of Picaddilly and requires the costly HS2 tunnelling scheme.

Perhaps Andy Burnham would perhaps be better concentrating on getting smaller more affordable schemes off the ground.
Such as increasing the platform capacity at Piccadilly so that the Ordsall curve can be fully utilised, Grayling cancelled this. Extending the tram to Stockport and Middleton and out to Rochdale? Increasing frequency and capacity on existing lines such as the Ashton line now the new arena is open and the Etihad is expanding. Providing more park and ride facilities ?
Starting on the Ardwick Viaduct rail link reinstatement out to the Etihad that they are planning.
You are correct. But none of the examples you mention are big news or give off potential soundbites of popularism. That is all Burhham is interested in. His image and himself. He’s an embarrassment to our city.

You are correct. But none of the examples you mention are big news or give off potential soundbites of popularism. That is all Burhham is interested in. His image and himself. He’s an embarrassment to our city.
As of two months ago and after 7 years in office 63.4% of the voting electorate of Greater Manchester don’t agree with you or they wouldn’t have voted for him. He must be doing something right to maintain that level of support. His support level is identical to when he was first elected in 2017 although the actual number that voted for him compared to 2017 has gone up due to an increased turnout.

Ummm, he's not alone in doing this tho, we all remember HS3!

I just think starting on schemes that are more easily costed and affordable, and that can be completed in under say 5 to 7 years are much more achievable.

Ones that have a budget of 15 - 20billion and that are going to take that at least 10-15 years, are just not likely you get out of the ground and can easily be cancelled?

When Burnham was MP for Leigh he stated he was in favour of HS2 , but only if they put a station in Leigh? This was clearly nonsense as there was never was a case to have a station in Leigh for HS2. But it did get him some local attention.

Reactions: PPT
Need to do some history ... there's loads of underground stuff in Manchester (there's a canal under Deansgate that was used as a bomb shelter in WW2) .... there's a river under the canal in the Northern Quarter...
No one is saying you can't construct tunnels under Manchester although that is becoming increasingly harder these days due to foundations for tall buildings. But tunnelling is prohibitively expensive and costs often overrun. I'm guessing Somapop will be able to give you more info.

Last edited:
Need to do some history ... there's loads of underground stuff in Manchester (there's a canal under Deansgate that was used as a bomb shelter in WW2) .... there's a river under the canal in the Northern Quarter...
I'm aware of all that.

But I'm guessing we're not talking about a walking tour around bomb shelters and canal paths.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.