Devolution For The Regions - Gtr Manchester

That is true but Burnham defended the scheme several times, it was also clear in his interviews that he was in charge of its geographical extent, which could have been much smaller if needed and still met the clean air obligations and he also quite obviously didn't understand the impact it would have on many small businesses. At times he looks woefully out of his depth.
What have you got against clean air?

How do they expect to formulate a national industrial strategy if they just let the regions decide where funds are to be directed to and what industries should be supported?

Just sounds like a load of meaningless guff to me. Is Andy Burnham really the best person to make these decisions, rather than people with proper experience in commerce?

Nothing at all. But you need to see the wider implications of this huge scheme on thousands of small struggling businesses in the greater Manchester area.
If London is anything to go by, 95% of vehicles are compliant anyway, and if a tradesman has to pay an extra tenner a day, he’ll just add it on to the already exorbitant bill that the consumer will have to pay. This mythical impact on business is way overblown as far as I can make out.

How do they expect to formulate a national industrial strategy if they just let the regions decide where funds are to be directed to and what industries should be supported?

Just sounds like a load of meaningless guff to me. Is Andy Burnham really the best person to make these decisions, rather than people with proper experience in commerce?

Bev Craig - leader of our council - her expertise is having worked in a Chinese takeaway - i kid you not. Her CV makes Raynor look like a space scientist.

That is true but Burnham defended the scheme several times, it was also clear in his interviews that he was in charge of its geographical extent, which could have been much smaller if needed and still met the clean air obligations and he also quite obviously didn't understand the impact it would have on many small businesses. At times he looks woefully out of his depth.
I've never run a business and I wouldn't deign to tell anyone how to do it. Politicians come across a staggering range of situations and it's never stopped them telling those involved how to do it. They are experts in the 'political fix' which often never analyses how a system will work in its entirety. They are intent on having it go ahead as it meets a political aim.

Bev Craig - leader of our council - her expertise is having worked in a Chinese takeaway - i kid you not. Her CV makes Raynor look like a space scientist.
Yes but she’s got a degree. I thought that’s all that mattered as far as you’re concerned judging by the amount you went on about Rayner’s NVQ.

If London is anything to go by, 95% of vehicles are compliant anyway, and if a tradesman has to pay an extra tenner a day, he’ll just add it on to the already exorbitant bill that the consumer will have to pay. This mythical impact on business is way overblown as far as I can make out.
As always the world is not as simple as this.

What is your experience in this area, do you run a small business with vehicles?

I guess the others must be non-jobs in your world.

She graduated from Manchester University in 2007 with a degree in politics and modern history and later gaining a postgraduate in Local Government Management from Warwick Business School and a MA in public policy and governance from UoM, both whilst working full time. She has held a range of jobs across local government, higher education and working for the trade union UNISON.

Before she was appointed as deputy leader of the council in May 2021, she spent four years as executive member for adult services, health, wellbeing and inclusion. She was also deputy chair of Manchester Health and Care Commissioning and co-chair of the Manchester Local Care Organisation

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.