Devolution For The Regions - Gtr Manchester

How do they expect to formulate a national industrial strategy if they just let the regions decide where funds are to be directed to and what industries should be supported?

Just sounds like a load of meaningless guff to me. Is Andy Burnham really the best person to make these decisions, rather than people with proper experience in commerce?
Of course it’s a load of meaningless guff to you, you’ve been brainwashed into believing that they don’t have a plan, which was clearly bollox.

Of course it’s a load of meaningless guff to you, you’ve been brainwashed into believing that they don’t have a plan, which was clearly bollox.
There’s a clear risk of contradiction in allowing devolved regions, each with their own self-interest and agenda, to formulate a national strategy.

It’s blindingly obvious and it’s the job of the national government to make these decisions, not simply to palm them off around the country. The fact that the various regional decision makers have little to no commercial experience only adds to the problems.

This push towards greater devolution, from both Labour and Conservative governments over the past twenty years, has in my opinion yielded very little. Other than to produce further, needless layers of government and public expenditure and of course to keep second rate politicians like Andy Burnham in circulation.

There’s a clear risk of contradiction in allowing devolved regions, each with their own self-interest and agenda, to formulate a national strategy.

It’s blindingly obvious and it’s the job of the national government to make these decisions, not simply to palm them off around the country. The fact that the various regional decision makers have little to no commercial experience only adds to the problems.

This push towards greater devolution, from both Labour and Conservative governments over the past twenty years, has in my opinion yielded very little. Other than to produce further, needless layers of government and public expenditure and of course to keep second rate politicians like Andy Burnham in circulation.
Ah but this is the classic way of make sure no shit hits your fan. I remember Michael Howard when he was home secretary blaming the guy in charge of HM prisons and not accepting responsibility for overcrowding 'n rioting. I seem to recall a move to shift the interface the public had with HMG to 'agencies'. I remember getting a passport from the Passport Agency - they're back now as the Passport Office. I think we are gonna be in for as many spiffing wheezes from Sir Starmer as we had from Boris, Liz 'n Rishi! The latest to appear is the suggestion that the overcrowding in prisons is gonna be solved by letting some jailbirds out!

Ah but this is the classic way of make sure no shit hits your fan. I remember Michael Howard when he was home secretary blaming the guy in charge of HM prisons and not accepting responsibility for overcrowding 'n rioting. I seem to recall a move to shift the interface the public had with HMG to 'agencies'. I remember getting a passport from the Passport Agency - they're back now as the Passport Office. I think we are gonna be in for as many spiffing wheezes from Sir Starmer as we had from Boris, Liz 'n Rishi! The latest to appear is the suggestion that the overcrowding in prisons is gonna be solved by letting some jailbirds out!
Have you an alternative solution to solve the immediate prison overcrowding issue?

There isn't an immediate solution. In fact, there's never been an 'immediate' solution to a social problem.
The only option atm is between either less severe prisoners out early or stop sentencing. Letting them out early is really the only thing to do now.

Had Tories had their finger on the pulse, this wouldn’t be an issue now

A second rate politician would be a huge step up from the fifth rate politicians that were in government for the last 14 years.

Looking forward to these plans being implemented.

I would have thought that there are many complexities in running most small businesses that make dealing with a clean air zone fairly trivial. As an example getting supplies from abroad since Brexit at a reasonable cost and with tolerable timescales would seem to be a much bigger problem than budgeting a tenner a day for the van until it’s time to replace it using the grants and scrappage schemes available. I would rather have a government that put some focus on easing trading arrangements with our neighbours than one that pisses about using a public health initiative as ammunition in a culture war.
I think you are best sticking to topics you can bullshit your way through in future. This isn't one of them.

Britain is unusual in that it is still very much a unitary state. This very much appeals to people with a Stalinesque mentality.

I find it amazing that many people still believe the man in Whitehall knows what's best for Bacup, Cleckheaton or Aylsham. He doesn't. Very often the man in Whitehall thinks nothing beyond Watford Junction has any significance.

We have made a few tentative steps towards devolution and need to make many more. In my ideal world, the UK government would just do stuff like national funding, defence and foreign policy. But any move to devolution is fine by me. A federal constitution would be better still. But no hope of that, alas.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.