Diabetes

If you don't mind my asking, does something happen? Like a symptom? You see nothing has happened to me other than some weird sensation in my foot and pissing loads, but nothing happens to me if I eat certain things. I read about spikes, but how do you know?

Decent basic article that might help

If you don't mind my asking, does something happen? Like a symptom? You see nothing has happened to me other than some weird sensation in my foot and pissing loads, but nothing happens to me if I eat certain things. I read about spikes, but how do you know?
Was discussing this with the mrs earlier and I said I'd be none the wiser if I hadn't, for about 30 seconds, got double vision. I put it down to lifting and bending excessively for a few minutes at work...A Drs appointment later and I've got borderline type 2. I'm overweight for my size, always have been I suppose but active and healthy otherwise and as of the last check up...all Ok and still on the borderline. Taking mild Statins at tea, toes get cold when it's cold outside and apart from nagging doubts about general health all 'seems' OK. I even enjoy going to the surgery for a check up basically for when the nurse asks me about erections.......Oh how we laugh !!!

I've tried the cauliflower rice and the biggest mistake was buying it ready made. As soon as I opened the package it smelled like someone had farted in it!

It is more palatable fresh but I'm still not a lover of it. However I do take everything back I said about Gillian McKeith and Quinoa. I much prefer this or cous cous to cauliflower rice.
The smell of veggies doesnt remotely bother me anymore,and once buried amongst other foods it becomes an irrelvance.If not a lover of the prepared veggie rices,then just steam some florets and add to your meal as a replacement for the starchy carbs.

Use chopped tomatoes,tomato puree,and add spices,as a base sauce.

The smell of veggies doesnt remotely bother me anymore,and once buried amongst other foods it becomes an irrelvance.If not a lover of the prepared veggie rices,then just steam some florets and add to your meal as a replacement for the starchy carbs.

Use chopped tomatoes,tomato puree,and add spices,as a base sauce.
I do like mashed cauliflower with garlic.
Mashed celeriac too.
Also I never thought I would ever get to really like butternut squash.
Tonight I'm having chicken and mushroom pie but with squash slices instead of pastry.
250. Cals
9 grams of carbs.

Like you say adding herbs and spices adds lots of layers of flavours.

Had a read before and Basmati isn't too bad. I'll just have to have less, and there lies the problem.
You can get something called Konjac rice, brand name Barenaked Rice (or Noodles) which I get from Sainsburys. It's very low calorie/carb so perfect for diabetics and you can eat loads of it. Doesn't taste of much so you've got to add some flavour but that's taken care of if you have curry, chili or something like that. They also do noodles.

Wholegrain brown rice is the next best thing. As long as you're careful about how much you have, it's manageable.

In 2007 at the age of 47 I eventually got diagnosed with Diabetes after having uncontrollable itching all over and in orifice's, the ears, eyes, nose, arse and japs eye being the worst. The itch would kind of "ping" onto an area and then followed a good scratch which doesn't do any good. I couldn't kip and was at my wits end when the Doc suggested a diabetes blood test. It's quite an unusual symptom but definitely triggered mine, levels are pretty stable now but take 500m of metformin twice a day, no other symptoms.

In 2007 at the age of 47 I eventually got diagnosed with Diabetes after having uncontrollable itching all over and in orifice's, the ears, eyes, nose, arse and japs eye being the worst. The itch would kind of "ping" onto an area and then followed a good scratch which doesn't do any good. I couldn't kip and was at my wits end when the Doc suggested a diabetes blood test. It's quite an unusual symptom but definitely triggered mine, levels are pretty stable now but take 500m of metformin twice a day, no other symptoms.
That's what I get in my feet, mainly my right one. A ping that makes me jolt. I don't need to itch it but that's what made me go docs.

You can get something called Konjac rice, brand name Barenaked Rice (or Noodles) which I get from Sainsburys. It's very low calorie/carb so perfect for diabetics and you can eat loads of it. Doesn't taste of much so you've got to add some flavour but that's taken care of if you have curry, chili or something like that. They also do noodles.

Wholegrain brown rice is the next best thing. As long as you're careful about how much you have, it's manageable.

My dad was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes & whilst he maintains a relatively active lifestyle his weakness is white rice.

We've switched it to wholegrain brown rice & even brown Basmati rice but he kicks up an almighty fuss.

Biscuits have been removed as snacks but lightly salted popcorn is still on the menu - unsure if the popcorn is a concern & if others can suggest some healthier & tastier alternatives?

That's what I get in my feet, mainly my right one. A ping that makes me jolt. I don't need to itch it but that's what made me go docs.
It's bloody painful when it comes from nowhere, like a red hot needle into the skin, hard to describe to people that haven't had it. Honestly the one in the John Thomas is a weird sensation:-)

My dad was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes & whilst he maintains a relatively active lifestyle his weakness is white rice.

We've switched it to wholegrain brown rice & even brown Basmati rice but he kicks up an almighty fuss.

Biscuits have been removed as snacks but lightly salted popcorn is still on the menu - unsure if the popcorn is a concern & if others can suggest some healthier & tastier alternatives?
I think popcorn might be OK in some forms but there's loads of recipes for low carb snacks. Dark chocolate (above 80% cocoa) is OK. I can recommend joining the Low Carb programme (if you can get it for £20 or so for a year instead of the usual £70). I've made a Twix-type snack using ground almonds, cream and dark chocolate from there, which is pretty good. Also Diabetes.co.uk has loads of recipes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.