Did Mancini hold us back?

I certainly wasn't his biggest fan but he brought us our most successful era since the late 1960's so you can't say that, in that respect, he held us back. But as someone else said, each manager has his limit. Hughes might have got us 4th place if he was lucky and Pearce wouldn't have got us near the top half no matter how much he spent.

Mancini succeeded domestically but failed in Europe however and that definitely held us back. Also, if the stories were true, some very important players might have walked if he'd stayed much longer so there was the danger he might actually inflict severe damage on us and undo a lot of the work that had been done so far.

We also now have a team that can have 20 shots on goal but score only 2 goals. The forward play has disintegrated. I'm not sure how much is down to the loss of AJ and Balotelli, and how much is down to the lack of form of Aguero and Dzeko but the deterioration in our forward play is startling. We've scored something like 30 goals less this season.

jauganaut said:
I'd like to point out that I was neither an inner nor an outer.
However, its pretty naive and disrespectful to say we won the league inspite and not because of Mancini.
Infact it is a rather idiotic statement and shows lack of appreciation for the circumstances that led to the capture of our premier league title.
We could have given up after Arsenal but Mancini without a doubt fired up the players and motivated them to keep winning even as failure seemed inevitable.
He also checked his ego and brought Tevez back so we could have a good chance, Alex Fergiscum would not have done the same.
He set up the team to play fluent attacking and dominating football which resulted in best attack and best defence in Britain and coincidentally goal difference won us the title.
Say what you want about Mancini but you cannot question his desire to win and Mancini won Manchester City the title
Good post.

jauganaut said:
However, its pretty naive and disrespectful to say we won the league inspite and not because of Mancini.
Infact it is a rather idiotic statement and shows lack of appreciation for the circumstances that led to the capture of our premier league title.
We could have given up after Arsenal but Mancini without a doubt fired up the players and motivated them to keep winning even as failure seemed inevitable.
He also checked his ego and brought Tevez back so we could have a good chance, Alex Fergiscum would not have done the same.
He set up the team to play fluent attacking and dominating football which resulted in best attack and best defence in Britain and coincidentally goal difference won us the title.
Say what you want about Mancini but you cannot question his desire to win and Mancini won Manchester City the title
Really? I thought it was Kidd that convinced Mancini that the title was still on? So maybe it was Kidd that really convinced the team they could do it?

moomba said:
Neil McNab said:
Mancini didn't take the club to first place, if I put my aunt Gerty in charge of Apple next year and they make huge profit, is it all down to her?
I see this rubbish in the work place with sales staff taking credit for a huge order that was going to be placed anyway.
I can't think of one player at City who has played to his full potential consistently under Mancini in the last season and a half apart from defensive players.

If your Aunt Gerty takes Apple from the 6th most profitable company to the most profitable then yes, she does deserve credit for it.

Like that. Well put.

FantasyIreland said:
PhuketBlue said:
No he didn't hold us back.

1 league and 2 cup finals in 3 years is, I believe, a pretty good achievement given the current squad. I doubt any new manager will do better without major expenditure.

Got to be a WUM.

Not at all. We have some very good individual players but I think many of them are rather one dimensional and not capable of playing in a much different way than they have been doing this season.

I think that you may also see that even with a new manager next year, not a great deal will change unless a fairly hefty amount is spent.

FantasyIreland said:
That has been my belief for most of this season,i think the EDS has also suffered to some degree.

I just want to pretend this season never happened,its been awful.
It really hasn't been awful.<br /><br />-- Wed May 15, 2013 9:23 am --<br /><br />
PhuketBlue said:
FantasyIreland said:
PhuketBlue said:
No he didn't hold us back.

1 league and 2 cup finals in 3 years is, I believe, a pretty good achievement given the current squad. I doubt any new manager will do better without major expenditure.

Got to be a WUM.

Not at all. We have some very good individual players but I think many of them are rather one dimensional and not capable of playing in a much different way than they have been doing this season.

I think that you may also see that even with a new manager next year, not a great deal will change unless a fairly hefty amount is spent.
That's what i think about us too. We've got some very talented players but some very average players for a so called top side. We're not as good as many think we are or should be.

christen at St Marks said:
We shall see Reading could have been 10-0
But so could dozens of games under Mancini this season. Plus Reading were an average Championship side who were very well managed and won the Championship, didn't really sign anyone at all, and have been playing as an average Championship side in the Premier League all season.

HorshamBlue said:
jauganaut said:
Really? I thought it was Kidd that convinced Mancini that the title was still on? So maybe it was
Kidd that really convinced the team they could do it?

I'm sorry but how do you know this?
Do you work for Manchester City?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.