did you choose or was it bred into you?

born in whythenshaw in 1969
moved to ireland 1976
dad was and still is a rag
two brothers rags
one of my others brothers (howiedeblue) bought me my first city kit red and black squares
and i owe it to him for showing me the blue side of manchester
HAVE FIVE SONS MYSELF ALL BLUES MUST BE THE MADDEST CITY HOUSE IN REP OF IRELAND

CITY TILL I DIE

born in whythenshaw in 1969
moved to ireland 1976
dad was and still is a rag
two brothers rags
one of my others brothers (howiedeblue) bought me my first city kit red and black squares
and i owe it to him for showing me the blue side of manchester
HAVE FIVE SONS MYSELF ALL BLUES MUST BE THE MADDEST CITY HOUSE IN REP OF IRELAND

CITY TILL I DIE

Born blue, never even thought of supporting anyone else.
Went to Maine Road V spuds when I was 9, we came 5th in Div 1 (I think) that season, and it's been mostly downhill since!

charliebigspuds said:
as we are about to embark on (what should be) city's most successful year's i'm just wondering are you a born and bred blue or did you choose it?
i had no choice, i was taken to my first game at 3 year's old in 1974 by my city mad dad and most of my mate's have had the same (and now i'm doing it to my son) but i do have two mate's who's family's/father's are born and bred rag's. So they choose to be blue, what about you?

Great thread Charlie and some great posts.

6 boys in my family, 3 reds, 1 Everton and my eldest brother got me supporting City during the 1970 world cup final when Franny Lee had a blindin tournament. Im 45 in 2 days and have spent my life as all of you, living the very highs and the deepest lows, have luved em and hated em......but always loved em.

And like a lot of rag fans, my 3 brothers no longer have any great interest in football!!!

NathanC said:
Chose.

It was around the time the Rags won their treble, and every man and their dog was a "United" fan, so in typical NathanC fashion, I said I will support City.

And I have loved them ever since.

Just like when at 13 all the boys started to get interested in girls, in typical NathanC fashion, you said "I will be a flaming poofter".

And you have loved men ever since.

I used to watch both City and United back in the early seventies as i lived in Hulme , halfway between the two grounds , and i had mates in both camps ....... but it soon became apparent that the rags simply didn't 'cut the mustard' .... Maine Road on the other hand felt like home ...... and so it's been City only from then on until this very day.

my father, God rest his soul, is to blame. 1974/75 first season I went and only missed a handful of home matches since. 2 daughters proudly following in my footsteps too.

Right, here go's,it's a long one this-but i hope you enjoy it-1968 i was 10 years old living here in Belfast,all the other kids in my area were all red bastards (never did like most of the fuckers anyway !) it was man u this and man u that and george best this and george best that (you get the picture)Anyway i never was one to run with the herd,still not-so i thought to myself then,what can i do that will really go against these sheep-and that's when it hit me-there was only one way to go and that was of course to the blue side.I can still remember when i got my first retro kit,it was one were my mum had to use a hot iron in order to put the club badge in the middle of the shirt (it was some sort of transfer and after you put the hot iron on it-you peeled of the plastic backing !)anyway in my first game at the local pitch you can imagine the stick i got from all the other kids who were wearing you know who's kit (fuck them ! i still hate them to this day )So to my first city game-they were drawn against the big local team (LINFIELD ) in the cup winners cup in 1970,so my big brother took me to the game,you can guess my reaction when i saw my heros (LEE,BELL,SUMMERBEE etc,) take to the field that night (i nearly fucking fainted !) i think you will also guess my reaction when i tell you that linfield won 2-1-the fuckers broke my heart first time out ! luckly city had won the first leg at home 1-0 so we went through on the away goals rule.Well i'am 50 now i have never regreted that decision i made in 1968-what i tell people these days is i have been married for 28 years but i have had a misstress for 40 years and just like a misstress, city have given me the greatest of highs and the lowest of lows (not that i would know anything about a real misstress if my wife happens to read this !)but here's the truth, i would never give up that 40 year old misstress for anything in the world and may we grow old and happy together,so here's to another 40 years together. (P.S.-i have a 2 year old grandson now and i just got him his first city kit !)Happy new year to all blues,Cheers Paul.

Great story,and you are well and truly born with City;s luck---Linfield made me laugh my arse off for your first game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.