Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello new on here
been reading mostly...agree with a lot of the comments
especially about not subbing Dzeko!
Obviously there were a lot of things wrong but really Couldnt understand the lack of reaction to being totally dominated........ Mancini was gulity of that last year and MP no better so far!
this where i have to rate Mourinho, if its not working he makes the change even ifit just 25mins on the clock.

I take heart form the last 15mins though and I think overall as good as BM were, City's mistakes made them look better!

Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
cleavers said:
NQCitizen said:
Call me negative but - 4-4-2 causes so many problems.

The defence is exposed

Yaya can't effectively cover the ground to press

Nastasic is always forced into being the ball distributor by opponents as we lack the structure in the middle to play the ball out any other way. Failing that Yaya drops in and leaves us with an attack starting with only 1 man in the middle.

Navas wide but Nasri tucked in means the whole team is lopsided. The left back comes forward to compensate leaving us vulnerable to attacks down the side which should protect the weaker of our 2 CBs.

There's no link man in the 10 role so the forwards are served mainly by crossing, one of the things we're weakest at. We've arguably 2 of the best 10s in Europe yet nowhere for them to play.

Even when we play well we lose effort into compensating for the problems. Compare this to Bayern who could morph shape into filling wherever we left gaping holes, whose one potential weakness is a high line.

We played great football at Villa but even then not playing to our strengths the opportunities were not lethal ones and we only scored thanks to their weakness at defending set pieces.

Tactically do you guys disagree with this analysis?
Returning to Wednesdays debacle, I think one of our biggest issues was our fullbacks, from the early minutes they were detached from the back four, to far forward, which meant the two CB's had to keep coming wider to cover, and though they were to far forward they did nothing to help the midfield.

Our 2 wide midfielders were disjointed, one coming into the middle and yet contributing little to win the ball, the other hugging the touchline, detached from the game for long periods. The result was Fernandinho and Toure utterly over run in the middle, and no link to the strikers, who for the most part were spectators, and probably could have done more to help in the middle. Bayern were able to pass at will, short or long, with nobody closing down anywhere.

I hope tomorrow our fullbacks are just that fullbakcs, and that they don't let attacking players get the run on them time and time again. Richards has always been suspect positionally for me, and often has used his pace to cover for it. Clichy has been in poor form defensively for some time now, and doesn't add much going forward for me, not in a genuine attacking sense anyway. It was a risk playing them together for the first time this season, and both were skinned time and again.

I think 442 can work, but it depends how its played, against united it was very effective, but because we pushed up on their fullbacks so much, and their midfiled was frankly wank, apart from Rooney.

Think that is a good summary. Richards was poor and clichy is the most overrated player we have. When did he last create anything offensively and now his defending is becoming suspect. I said we should have bought a left back in the summer because neither are good enough at the very top level.

A strong manager would have subbed Dzeko for a midfield player after 25 minutes. Can't upset edin though!

Clichy produces as many key passes as any of our full backs and only five players have produced more per game so far this season; although that is not a big sample.

FantasyIreland said:
As I said,the 90m has only replaced outgoings,we have replaced Tevez,Balo,Barry and Toure only with players of similar ability - I don't think we have actually improved the squad much if at all,it still lacks depth,especially given the injuries we have had to contend with.

The problems at defensive midfield,centrehalf,left back and left wing still exist.

Two of those named were pretty marginal last season. Our net transfer spend was very substantial. Granted there are still problems in some positions but there was a strong consensus that we had strengthened both the squad and the first team. In that case only an improvement on the last campaign will be good enough.

It's too early to judge at this stage, of course. However, if it takes a few hundred more millions to regain the PL title, someone needs to be asking some serious questions.

masiv said:
hello new on here
Obviously there were a lot of things wrong but really Couldnt understand the lack of reaction to being totally dominated........ Mancini was gulity of that last year and MP no better so far!
this where i have to rate Mourinho, if its not working he makes the change even ifit just 25mins on the clock.

I take heart form the last 15mins though and I think overall as good as BM were, City's mistakes made them look better!

hmmmmm??

joined the evening after we took a spanking against the Saints.......

Very suspect username......

sniff sniff?

FantasyIreland said:
masiv said:
hello new on here

hmmmmm??

sniff sniff?
Trying to gain our confidence and soften us up with a few platitudes first.....

masiv said:
hello new on here

Subtle username

We have a strong squad that should be able to successfully play in a variety of formations.

The squad is not though the deepest or most balanced and, if, as I assume the ultimate goal is, we are to become the best team in the world, we will need to improve the quality in each successive (summer) transfer window. Look at the depth and quality of Bayern's squad.

stony said:
masiv said:
hello new on here

Subtle username
Not sure what you're talking about.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
FantasyIreland said:
masiv said:
hello new on here

hmmmmm??

sniff sniff?
Trying to gain our confidence and soften us up with a few platitudes first.....

Hmmmmm indeed.

stony said:
masiv said:
hello new on here

Subtle username

He might be a big lad or lady ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.